Broadneck hits free throws, holds off South River, 60-56 Seahawks rally, but come up short Boys basketball

December 12, 1992|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff Writer

When noting how his team will have to compensate for its lack of height, Broadneck coach Ken Kazmarek said: "Quickness is very important in basketball, and I think we have that."

The Bruins, especially sophomore guard Jason Smith, had plenty of composure last night against South River.

Smith scored a career-high 34 points, including the last eight from the free throw line, to lead Broadneck past visiting South River, 60-56.

A 16-0 run in the third quarter had given the Bruins (1-0) a seeminly comfortable 42-26 lead. But the Seahawks (2-1) fought back to go ahead twice in the fourth quarter, only to have Smith ice the game from the line.

"Our kids didn't foul who they were supposed to foul," said South River coach Ken Dunn. "I give Smith all the credit in the world."

Senior forward Bill Kupina added 10 points, including eight in the third quarter, before fouling out with 2:23 left and the Bruins leading, 48-46. That left Broadneck with three sophomores in the game.

Luckily, Smith was one of them.

South River's Corey Davis buried his third three-point shot of the second half to tie the score, 56-56, with less than 30 seconds remaining. Smith made two free throws with 18 seconds left to give Broadneck the lead, and Davis missed from three-point range. Smith was fouled again, and he made both shots to account for the final margin.

Senior center Darren Hall led the Seahawks with 25 points, and Davis added 15, including 13 in the second half.

In the first half, which ended with Broadneck ahead, 26-24, the teams combined for 15 field goals and 23 fouls. Hall had 16 points, with 10 coming from the line. Smith had 15 points.

The Bruins led only once in the first quarter, 6-5. The game was tied three times in the second quarter before Smith scored on a layup off a South River turnover to give the Bruins a 23-21 lead.

Hall scored on an offensive rebound, was fouled and converted the free throw to move the Seahawks in front, 24-23. But the Bruins' Eric Elston buried a three -pointer with 30 seconds remaining.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.