Each year, the Maryland Christmas Tree Association publishes a list of farms where the public can go to cut its own trees. The farms offer spruce, fir and pine in heights starting at 3 feet, with most trees in the 6- to 12-foot range. Many farms also have wreaths, greens and holiday shops, refreshments and restrooms.
The list, published in a brochure with tips on cutting and preparing the tree, is available at public libraries in Baltimore and in all Maryland counties, as well as from the University of Maryland Cooperative Extension Service or from the Marketing Services Department of the Maryland Department of Agriculture, 50 Harry S Truman Parkway, Annapolis 21401.
Here is a portion of the list, focusing on counties neighboring Baltimore.
ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY
* Mas-que Farm; Robert C. Giffen Jr.; 757-4454.
About 1 mile southwest of Annapolis. From U.S. 50 take Route 2 south 1/2 mile. Turn left on Forest Drive for 1 1/2 miles, turn right on Spa Road for 1/4 mile to sign on right. Open Dec. 5-20; weekends 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* A-1 Bacon Road Tree Farm, 252-2543. Open December weekends 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Weekdays by appointment. From Baltimore, Interstate 83N from the Beltway to Exit 27E (Mount Carmel Road). Bear right to York Road, go 1 block to Monkton Road. Left to first road on left (Big Falls Road), follow about 3 miles after passing old paper mill, Big Falls becomes Hunters Mill Road. Take Hunters Mill 1 block to Bacon, turn right, 1/4 mile to farm on right.
From Harford County, take Route 165 to Route 23W (Keene Dodge) west on Route 23 three miles past Route 146, turn left on White Hall Road South to Wiseburg Road, turn left, go 1/2 block, left onto Schoolhouse Road, one block to stop sign. Left on Hunters Mill Road, 1/4 block to Bacon Road, turn right to farm on right.
* Doyle's Tree Farm; Dick Doyle; 357-8056.
About 3 miles northeast of Hereford. From I-83, take Middletown Road (Exit 31) east 1/2 mile to dead end at York Road. Turn right on York Road, go 1/4 mile then left on Wiseburg Road and continue for 1/2 mile. Turn right on Bernoudy Road. Continue 1 mile to sign on right. Open through Dec. 20; weekends 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Elliot's Ventura Farms; Sallie and Maurice Elliot; 771-4510.
About 5 miles north of Hunt Valley. From Beltway Exit 23B (Falls Road), go north 12 miles to farm on right. From I-83 Exit 20B (Shawan Road West) turn right on Falls Road and go 5 miles to farm on right. Open Thurs.-Sun. 9 a.m. to dusk till Dec. 20.
* Frostee Tree Farm; George M. Winter; 687-3344.
About 1 mile northeast of White Marsh Mall. Take Beltway to I-95 north to U.S. 40 east. Go 1/4 mile to a left on Ebenezer Road, which becomes Cowenton Avenue, to sign on left. Open through Dec. 24; Mon.-Wed. noon to dusk; Thurs.-Sat. dawn to dusk.
* Good Fellowship Farm; C. Franklin Eck Jr.; no phone.
About 3 miles east of Towson. From Beltway take Cromwell Bridge Road (Exit 29) east for 1 mile. Turn left to farm, following signs. Open Dec. 5-20; weekends, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Green Hill; William D. Purdum; 592-7813. About 8 miles from Towson. From Beltway take Route 146 north 4 miles. Cross Loch Raven Bridge, bearing right 2 miles to Peerce's Plantation then left 2 miles on Dulaney Valley Road. Turn left onto Manor Road. Farm is 1 1/2 miles on your left. Open till Dec. 20; weekends only 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Jones Christmas Tree Farm; Gordon and Dreena Jones; 771-4346.
North of Towson. From Beltway, take Exit 27N (Dulaney Valley Road north), cross Loch Raven Bridge. Bear left onto Jarrettsville Pike. Go through light at Four Corners. Turn left on Manor Road to Manor Tavern. Turn right onto Old York Road. Go 1 mile to farm on left. Open through Dec. 20; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wed.-Fri., 9
a.m. to 4 p.m. weekends. Closed Mon. and Tues.
* Locksley Tree Farm; Albert I. Dunstan; 666-2652.
About 1/2 mile north of Jacksonville. From Beltway, take Exit 27N (Dulaney Valley Road north), cross Loch Raven Bridge. Bear left onto Jarrettsville Pike. Turn right on Stansbury Mill Road and go 1 1/2 miles to Dunstan Lane, follow signs. Open through Dec. 24; daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Manor Hill Farm; John S. Anderson; 592-6913.
About 6 miles from Beltway Exit 29. Go east on Cromwell Bridge Road 3 miles to dead end. Turn left on Glenarm Road for 3/4 mile. Turn left on Manor Road for 2 miles. Turn right on Breidenbaugh Lane and go 1/2 mile to Red Barn. Open Dec. 1-24; daily 9 a.m. to dark.
* Martin's Tree Farm; M. Amos Martin; 374-2593.
From I-83N take 137W 5 miles, right on Falls Road 2 1/2 miles to farm on left.
* Mount Carmel Tree Farm; Robert S. Curreri; 329-8032.
About 3 miles west of Hereford. From Beltway, take I-83 north to Mount Carmel Road west, go 2 3/4 miles to farm sign on left, just past church. Open Dec. 1-23; daily 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Patapsco Valley Farms; James Jett; 298-2950.