No units in Md. going to Somalia OPERATION RESTORE HOPE

December 11, 1992|By a Staff Writer

No Maryland military units have been alerted for service i Operation Restore Hope in Somalia, according to spokesman for local units and the Pentagon.

Col. Howard Freedlander, Maryland National Guard spokesman, said units are updating contingency plans as a matter of prudent planning, just in case. He said the Air National Guard last week completed its tour of duty flying relief supplies from Mombasa, Kenya, to airstrips in Somalia and is not scheduled to return to Africa.

Spokesmen at Fort Meade and Aberdeen Proving Ground said none of their units have been put on alert for possible Somalia duty.

Last weekend, the Baltimore-based Navy hospital ship, USNS Comfort, and the Bethesda Naval Medical Center underwent a flurry of activity when it appeared it would be sent to the Indian Ocean off Somalia but the alert was canceled Tuesday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.