Family homeless after Roller Road fire NORTH -- Manchester * Hampstead * Lineboro

December 11, 1992|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

Five people -- including three children -- escaped unharme from an early morning fire yesterday that extensively damaged their one-story wood-frame home in the 4900 block of Roller Road near Millers in northern Carroll County.

The blaze, which was discovered just before 1 a.m. Thursday, apparently started within a wall of the house and caused an estimated $20,000 in damage, said Bob Thomas, deputy state fire marshal.

About 35 firefighters from Lineboro, Manchester and Hampstead were called out.

They remained at the scene of the fire for more than three and a half hours.

Officials at the fire marshal's office said the accidental blaze apparently started within a wall of the building when a nail pierced an electric wire, causing a short and the subsequent fire.

C. M. Langston, his wife and three children were forced to move in with relatives because of the damage to their home and could not be reached on Thursday.

At 7:04 a.m., firefighters returned to the house after a pile of debris that had been removed from the building ignited.

The second blaze was extinguished in about 40 minutes.

No one was injured either fire.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.