Lake Clifton loses Challenge to Molloy, 68-65, in overtime

Boys basketball

December 09, 1992|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,Contributing Writer

After being congratulated by a friend for his team's performance yesterday against Archbishop Molloy of New York, Lake Clifton coach Charlie Moore said, "We've got to play four quarters." His friend responded, "Sometimes five."

In their first game of the season, the No. 3 Lakers overcame a 10-point halftime deficit, but fell in overtime to Molloy, 68-65, in the opening game of the Charm City/Big Apple Challenge at the Baltimore Arena.

Molloy junior guard Alex Mavrouskas led all scorers with 21 points. Shandue McNeill added 16 and six rebounds. Ahmad Jackson scored 10 points, including four in the overtime period, as the Lakers didn't score until 39 seconds remained.

Lake Clifton was still within striking distance after Shawnta RTC Rogers hit a three-pointer to cut Molloy's lead to 66-63. The Lakers got the ball back after a missed one-and-one, and Rogers was fouled inside the three-point line. Rogers hit both free throws to make it 66-65. Mavrouskas sealed the victory for Molloy (5-0) with a pair of free throws with one second remaining.

"They had played four games already and that had to help them," Moore said. "Maybe if we could have gotten one under our belt, but two attempts fell though, not making excuses. The name of the game is you got to play four quarters. I'm proud of the kids because they didn't quit."

Rogers, a 5-foot-5 sophomore guard, led the Lakers with 20 points and seven rebounds. Junior backcourt mate Kevin Norris scored 15.

Rogers sent the contest into overtime with a pair of free throws with 40 seconds remaining in regulation. With 12 seconds left, McNeill was fouled.

After he missed his first free throw, Lake Clifton grab the rebound and got the ball to midcourt and called timeout. But Molloy got the ball back because it had another free throw coming.

With five seconds left, McNeill missed the second free throw and Rogers got the ball up quickly, but his 13-foot shot hit off the rim at the buzzer.

Jackson opened the overtime for Molloy with a basket after a missed free throw by Billy Etheridge with 1:52 left.

Steve Hale hit a pair of free throws and Mavrouskas converted one of two to build a 64-59 advantage with 50 seconds remaining.

"This was a real tough one for us," said Rogers. "We had to hustle and play good defense, but we were slow getting into the game. We played well overall, but we just have to play a little more consistent."

Next up for the Lakers will be the Function in the Junction Mixer at Walbrook, where they will play No. 16 St. Frances on Friday and No. 4 Walbrook on Saturday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.