Princeton stifles Loyola with trademark defense Greyhounds 0-3 after 61-37 loss

December 09, 1992|By Jerry Price | Jerry Price,Contributing Writer

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Long before the Loyola College bus rolled back into Maryland late last night, Tom Schneider's thoughts had to drift back to a different visit to Jadwin Gym.

That would have been in early 1987, when the then-Pennsylvania coach took his Quakers to Jadwin and knocked off Princeton in overtime en route to the Ivy League title. It ranks with Schneider's biggest wins.

Last night's game at the arena in central New Jersey will rank among the most frustrating of his career. Princeton took control midway through the first half last night and rolled past Loyola, 61-37. It was vintage Princeton from start to finish.

The 37 points marked Loyola's lowest point total since a 55-33 loss to Siena in 1950-51. Princeton has led the nation in scoring defense in 10 of the past 17 years.

"I don't know what to say," Schneider said. "We've had a lot of trouble scoring this year, but you have to give Princeton credit. They kill you by making plays and playing good defense."

The Greyhounds (0-3) play their first home game on Saturday, against Mount St. Mary's. Princeton, the four-time defending Ivy League champ, is 3-1.

Loyola was done in by all of the Princeton staples. The Tigers made their three-point shots, controlled the tempo, didn't turn the ball over and mixed in a backdoor play here and there against the Greyhounds' man-to-man.

All this was done with basically the same five Princeton players going most of the way. Also in keeping with the Princeton tradition, Loyola held the rebounding edge over the home team, 26-20.

"They're a very patient team," Schneider said. "They come down and hold the ball for 44 1/2 seconds, and then somebody comes through and hits a three."

The Tigers hit 10 three-point shots on the night -- four more than Loyola has made as a team in its three games. Princeton also turned the ball over just once in the entire first half and four times for the game.

Princeton shot 10-for-20 from two-point range as well. No basket by the Tigers came from between five feet and the three-point line.

"I thought we played hard," Carril said. "We moved the ball well. We had a sense of what we wanted to do out there. I told my team that if we come out and play tough, we can be happy with ourselves at the end, win or lose."

Loyola was led by B. J. Pendleton's 10 points. It was the first time the Greyhounds were held under 40 points since the NCAA instituted the shot clock and three-point rule.

"We had trouble getting B. J. the ball," Schneider said. "They did an excellent job executing their defense and keeping the ball away from him."

Loyola scored the first basket of the game, but Princeton ran off seven straight after that to take control. It was 28-16 late in the half and 32-20 at halftime.

Princeton scored the first four points of the second half, but Loyola ripped off six straight to cut it to 36-26.

The Greyhounds would get no closer the rest of the night, as an 8-1 Princeton run opened a 17-point lead. The Tigers never looked back.

"I thought we took it to them early in the second half," Schneider said. "Then they came back and turned things around. They did a good job executing their offense."

It was all enough to leave Schneider to think of better days in this gym. Schneider, who coached at Lehigh and Penn before coming to Loyola, now has a 4-8 career record against Princeton and Carril.

"They're very smart, and they're very patient," Schneider said. .. "They're as patient as any Carril team I've seen. They executed very well tonight."

Which made for a frustrating night for the Greyhounds, and a tough ride home for the coach.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.