Bullets from t0wo cars miss officer in pursuit

December 09, 1992|By Richard Irwin and Roger Twigg | Richard Irwin and Roger Twigg,Staff Writers

Baltimore County and City police officers were shot at during a crime spree involving four men in a stolen white car that began early today in Towson, went to Highlandtown and ended in Hamilton.

Shots were fired at a county police officer on Perring Parkway near the city line and later at city officers in the Hamilton area of northeast Baltimore.

No one was hit, and officers did not return fire in either incident, investigators said.

Officer James M. Burger, of the Towson District, was at the Hillendale Shopping Center at Taylor Avenue near Loch Raven Boulevard shortly after midnight when he spotted a white Honda wanted in connection with a Towson gasoline station robbery earlier in the evening.

When the officer approached, the driver sped off, heading east on Taylor Avenue toward Perring Parkway.

As the Honda was speeding south on Perring Parkway and into the city, two men in the back of the car leaned out and fired several shots at the officer's patrol car.

Moments later, witnesses said, a blue Chevrolet Cavalier that was following Officer Burger pulled alongside him.

Just south of the Northern Parkway overpass in the city, at least one occupant of the blue car leaned out the window and fired several shots at Officer Burger.

In the city, both cars eluded Officer Burger, who radioed for backup units and alerted city police.

About 12:20 a.m., city police reported that two men robbed BG's Pub in the 600 block of Oldham St. and drove off in a white car that fit the description of the Honda involved in the earlier incidents.

About 2:15 a.m., city police investigating men tampering with a car in the 5000 block of Morello Road in Hamilton spotted the white car again and gave chase into the 2300 block of Ailsa Ave., where police said the car's occupants fired several shots.

About 3:50 a.m., the car was spotted again in the 2300 block of Halcyon Ave., officers said, and four men ran from the car. A few minutes later, a man acting suspiciously was arrested after hailing a cab.

Police subsequently went to a house in the 5000 block of Morella Avenue and arrested two men who started running as the officers approached. The house was surrounded by police, with a helicopter hovering overhead.

About 7:20 a.m., members of the city's "quick response team" entered the house at gunpoint and arrested another man.

All four suspects were being held for questioning at the Northeastern Police District in the city. The blue car was still being sought.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.