Police identify man shot by city officer

December 08, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer

A man shot to death early yesterday morning in the 2700 block of Mura St. by an off-duty city policeman delivering newspapers has been identified as Derrick Maurice Rivers, 21, of the 2300 block of Federal St., police said.

Officer Essex Weaver, 32, of the Eastern District, was delivering the Baltimore Sun at 5:25 a.m. when he was accosted by a man who demanded his money.

Police said the man kept one hand in his back pocket as though he was about to pull out a weapon.

Before Officer Weaver could react, the man ordered him to get down on his knees.

Police said Officer Weaver, who was in civilian clothes, drew his 9mm Glock semi-automatic handgun from its holster and identified himself as a police officer, while telling the man to back off and get away.

Police said the man began advancing in a threatening manner toward Officer Weaver with his hand still in his back pocket when Officer Weaver got up and took a defensive position near his personal car.

Officer Weaver fired one shot at the man, which missed.

As the man continued to approach, the officer fired two more shots, hitting the man in the upper torso at least once.

The wounded man fell to the pavement and was taken by ambulance to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he died a short time later.

Police said Mr. Rivers had been arrested several times in the past, the most recent being last month.

Officer Weaver, who was uninjured, has been placed on administrative duty pending an investigation of the incident.

Mr. Rivers, police said, was unarmed.

In an unrelated shooting that occurred around 1 a.m. yesterday, a 46-year-old man who was shot in the stomach during an attempted robbery outside his home in the 500 block of N. Mount St. died Monday morning at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Police said Willie Chambers, of 531 N. Mount St., was sitting on his front steps around 1 a.m. yesterday when a man approached and demanded his money.

When Mr. Chambers told the man he had no money and got up go into his house, the man pulled out a handgun and fired at least one shot, hitting Mr. Chambers in the abdomen.

Police said the gunman escaped without robbing the wounded man.

Mr. Chambers, police said, managed to stumble into his home, where he was found a short time later sitting in a chair in his dining room.

He was taken by ambulance to Shock Trauma, where he died at 8:18 a.m., some seven hours after he was shot.

In a third fatal shooting Monday, Jervis White, 47, of the 600 block of N. Brice St., was charged with first-degree murder in the death of an unidentified man following an argument in Mr. White's home around 2:30 a.m.

Police said the victim was being chased down the hallway of Mr. White's home when he was shot in the back of the head with a .410-gauge shotgun.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the shooting was the result of an argument between the two men over a woman.

Police said Mr. White was held at the Western District station without bail pending a bail review hearing today in District Court.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.