Two slain in separate city shootings

December 07, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer

An argument between two men in a house in the 600 block of N. Brice St. early today resulted in one of the men being shot to death as he attempted to flee. A suspect was arrested, city police said.

In another shooting, late last night, four men armed with handguns opened fire on two 18-year-olds during a robbery in the 4600 block of Manordene Road near Edmondson Village, killing one and wounding the other, said a homicide detective. One of the robbery victims returned the fire, shooting one of the assailants in the chest.

In the latest reported slaying, the body of an unidentified man was found in the vestibule of the Brice Street home about 2:30 a.m. today. He had been shot in the back of the head with a gauge shotgun, apparently during an argument over a woman with another man who, along with the woman, lives in the house.

First-degree murder charges were expected to be placed against the occupant today. The woman was not injured.

In the Manordene Road robbery and double shooting, police said Sidney Ashley Greene, 18, of the 4500 block of Manordene Road, was shot in the chest at close range at 10:45 p.m. and was pronounced dead at St. Agnes Hospital shortly before midnight.

Listed in good condition at the same hospital with a bullet wound to the left leg is Charles Owens, 18, whose home address Homicide Detective James Hagin declined to reveal.

The juvenile, Detective Hagin said, was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center with a bullet wound to the chest and was listed in critical condition.

His name was being withheld pending notification of his relatives. First-degree murder and armed robbery charges against him were pending.

The two victims, according to Detective Hagin, had left an apartment building in the 4500 block of Manordene Road at 10:46 p.m. and were about to enter Mr. Greene's car when they were approached by four unidentified men carrying handguns who demanded their money and clothing.

Detective Hagin said the victims gave up various pieces of apparel and money and were still standing near Mr. Greene's car when the four gunmen opened fire for no apparent reason.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.