Skipjacks strike first, but still lose Isles come back for 4-3 victory

December 05, 1992|By Doug Brown | Doug Brown,Staff Writer

Even scoring the first goal of the game didn't help th Skipjacks.

They had given up the first goal in their previous 10 games, but struck first last night only to lose to the Capital District Islanders, 4-3, before 2,244 at the Baltimore Arena.

It was the Skipjacks' fifth straight defeat and left them winless in their last six games. Their only victory in the last 11 games was Nov. 21 over the Utica Devils.

While Capital District was strengthening its hold on the AHL's Northern Division lead, the Skipjacks remained in fourth place in the Southern Division.

"I don't know how much more of this I can take," Skipjacks coach Barry Trotz said grimly. "It's really disappointing to lose this one.

"A few turnovers hurt. They capitalized on chances and we didn't. We're not generating a lot of offense, that's for sure."

The bulk of the scoring was in the final period. After Chris Taylor assisted on Martin Lacroix's goal for a 3-1 Islanders lead, Taylor's brother, the Skipjacks' Tim, scored 19 seconds later.

Travis Green scored Capital District's fourth goal with 6:43 to play, and Steve Konowalchuk brought Baltimore within one with 2:45 left. At that point, Islanders goalie Jamie McLennan left the game with leg cramps and was replaced by Danny Lorenz.

The Skipjacks scored first when Jeff Greenlaw beat McLennan at 8:27 of the first period. It was Greenlaw's third goal in five games since he arrived from the parent Capitals.

Thirty seconds later, Iain Fraser, the Islanders' points leader, scored his 10th goal to tie it at 1-1.

The Skipjacks had scored first in only five of their first 24 games, worst in that department the AHL. In those five games, they were 4-1.

"We've had a lot of road games [16 of 26], and that could have something to do with it," Trotz said. "Another thing, our goalkeeping early in games hasn't been good. We can't seem to get past the first five minutes without having a goal scored against us."

The Islanders took a 2-1 lead at 5:07 of the second period on Fraser's second goal of the game. The scoring combination was the same as on the first -- Dean Chynoweth to Marty McInnis to Fraser.

NOTES: The Skipjacks left by bus after the game for Utica and a game against the Devils tonight. They will be idle until entertaining the Hershey Bears and Hamilton Canucks next Friday and Saturday. . . . Terry Reardon, longtime general manager of the Clippers (the Skipjacks' predecessor), took in his first Skipjacks game of the season last night. No longer involved in hockey, the semi-retired Reardon works as a security guard. . . . Skipjacks scoring leader John Byce (26 points) missed his fourth straight game with a badly bruised thigh. . . . Konowalchuk is seventh on the team in scoring despite playing only 10 games. . . . The Skipjacks have optioned or acquired seven players in the last seven days. The moves included a goalies shuffle, with Duane Derksen going to Hampton Roads of the East Coast Hockey League and Mark Bernard being recalled from Hampton. On Thursday, LW Trevor Halverson and D Bob Babcock were sent to the Hampton Roads Admirals of the East Coast Hockey League.

Capital District 1 1 2 -- 4

Skipjacks 1 0 2 -- 3

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.