Ex-Terp sparks George Mason to a 76-63 win over Morgan

December 02, 1992|By Gary Davidson | Gary Davidson,Contributing Writer

FAIRFAX, Va. -- University of Maryland transfer Mark McGlone seems to have found a home in Northern Virginia.

McGlone's strong inside play last night staked George Mason to a first half lead it never relinquished en route to a 76-63 victory over Morgan State before 3,753 at the Patriot Center.

In his second game for the Patriots McGlone, a 6-foot-7 power forward, had 14 points and eight rebounds to help GMU (1-1), which last won Feb. 10, end an eight-game losing streak.

McGlone had 11 points and four rebounds in the first half.

In his Patriot debut, McGlone had 15 points and a team-high nine rebounds when the Patriots opened their season with a 90-71 defeat at Texas-El Paso Nov. 18 in the preseason National Invitation Tournament.

The game featured two teams that combined for only 13 victories in 57 outings a year ago. In 1991-92, Morgan was 6-23, GMU went 7-21.

Seven-foot center Craig Hodges led GMU with 16 points, including 10 from the foul line, and nine rebounds.

Vince Langston had 14 points and seven rebounds for MSU (0-1). James White had a game-high 13 rebounds to supplement seven points for the Bears.

Morgan State actually scored six more field goals than GMU, 27-21, but the Bears were done in by their lack of an interior game.

GMU scored 29 points on 39 trips to the free-throw line. MSU only went to the foul line four times, making three.

MSU committed 28 fouls to 13 by GMU.

Both teams started cold. Vince Langston gave Morgan a 2-0 lead with 1:29 elapsed. The Bears never led again.

GMU seemed like it was in control early when the Patriots raced to a 26-15 advantage with 8:05 remaining before halftime. But three-pointers by Langston and Charles Feagin and an eight-foot baseline jumper by Obadiah Johnson helped the Bears close to a 26-23 deficit with 5:14 left in the first half.

The Patriots extended their advantage again to nine points, but MSU pulled back to a three-point deficit at 32-29 on Desi Jackson's 15-foot jumper with 2:23 on the clock.

After an exchange of baskets, Patriot Jamel Perkins' two free throws put GMU up, 36-31 at halftime.

But George Mason could not put MSU away until sophomore guard Donald Ross swished three consecutive three pointers in a span of 1 minute, 44 seconds, to spark an 11-point run that put GMU ahead, 55-39, with 11:50 left in the game.

Ross was only successful on one of his six other shots and finished with 11 points.

Neither team shot well. MSU made 27 of 68 shots for 39.7 percent. George Mason connected on 21 of 55 from the field for 38.2 percent.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.