Sheriff's office reclassifies teen-ager's death, now calling it 'suspicious' HARFORD COUNTY

December 02, 1992|By Frank Lynch | Frank Lynch,Staff Writer

The Harford County Sheriff's Office said that the death of 16-year-old Nita Milak -- originally listed as a fatal accident involving a motor vehicle -- has been reclassified as suspicious and is being investigated.

According to department spokesman Deputy DeWayne Curry, homicide has not been ruled out because of the unusual circumstances surrounding the incident, which occurred last Wednesday.

A preliminary investigation determined that the John Carroll School junior was found lying in the middle of the 3900 block of Wilkinson Road in Level shortly after 5 p.m. Nov. 25.

Nita had sustained serious head injuries and was in full cardiac arrest, according to the sheriff's office. She was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace by an ambulance crew from the Level Volunteer Fire Company.

She was later taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where she died at 7:43 p.m.

Officers said a 1990 Jeep Wagoneer, belonging to the victim, was backed into a tree about 60 feet from where Nita was found. The vehicle has been impounded by the sheriff's office.

Dr. Surendra K. Milak, Nita's father, said the sheriff's office has told him little about the circumstances of her death. "All I can say is that she is gone, and we cannot bring her back," he said. "She was a very good student, a happy person . . . always smiling.

"The last thing she said to me the

morning of her death was that she would see me later. She smiled and waved goodbye."

Dr. Milak is chief of emergency services at Harford Memorial Hospital. He said that he met the ambulance at the hospital and that his daughter was unconscious upon arrival. "She never regained consciousness," he said. He later rode with Nita as she was taken by ambulance to the shock trauma unit.

Dr. Milak said Nita's body was cremated Saturday, according to the custom of his native India. A memo

rial service was held the same day at an Abingdon funeral establishment.

Neighbors of the victim, who lived in the 200 block of Darlington Road, were shocked and concerned as news of her death spread through the community.

"Word spreading through the neighborhood is that the young girl was murdered," said a woman who has lived in the area 15 years and asked not to be identified. "If that is the case all of us have a right to feel worried."

Another neighbor, who also re

quested anonymity, said she was told by a member of the ambulance crew that took Nita to the hospital that the girl's injuries were not caused by a vehicular accident.

Asked to comment on the circumstances of the death, a member of the Level Fire Department declined to comment, saying the staff had been told not to issue any statement to the media concerning the incident.

Anyone with information about Nita's death should call the sheriff's office at 838-6600.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.