3 health centers grow out of one grant

December 01, 1992

A private foundation has provided a $2 million grant to help fund three health centers in East Baltimore where residents suffer high rates of heart disease, cancer and asthma, it was announced yesterday.

The centers, set to open in early 1993, will be run by a partnership of the Baltimore Health Department, the Johns Hopkins Medical and Health Institutions and Clergy United for the Renewal of East Baltimore (CURE).

Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke, Johns Hopkins University President William Richardson and the Rev. Melvin B. Tuggle Jr. of CURE announced the grant from the Kellogg Foundation. The grant will be disbursed over a four-year period.

The Kellogg Foundation of Battle Creek, Mich., was established in 1930.

It provides seed money to organizations and institutions that have identified problems and have designed programs to solve them.

The area to be served by the centers recorded some of the most alarming health statistics in the city and state, according to statistics released recently by the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.

Thirty-two percent of residents between the ages of 40 and 59 die of heart disease and 24 percent of cancer.

Also, children suffer high rates of asthma attacks.

The centers will provide health education, screening and referrals. Breast cancer, tuberculosis, substance abuse, AIDS and homelessness are other problems to be targeted by the centers.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.