GORC Wildcats run past Davidsonville to win youth football crown, 30-7

November 30, 1992|By Steven Kivinski and John Harris III | Steven Kivinski and John Harris III,Contributing Writers

The Gambrills-Odenton Recreation Council Wildcat overwhelmed Davidsonville, 30-7, in the nightcap of the Anne Arundel Youth Football Association championships Saturday at Anne Arundel Community College.

The 140-pound county champions finished 11-0.

"We made it a little tough on ourselves in the first quarter," said coach Mike Vladich.

GORC fell behind in the first quarter when Davidsonville quarterback Scott Fulton hit Josh White with a 30-yard touchdown pass.

Fulton's one-point conversion pass to Brian Kilpatrick gave the Gators a 7-0 lead with 6:52 remaining in the first quarter.

GORC started its next possession on its 46, and the Wildcats' offense was given new life on a roughing-the-punter call. The Wildcats took advantage of the opportunity and closed to within 7-6 on a 27-yard run by Sean Taylor. Taylor started left before finding daylight down the right sideline.

A 43-yard pass from Hayden to Damon Scott gave the Wildcats a first-and-goal at the Gators' 2, from where Scott scored on the next play. John Hill's two-point kick gave the Wildcats a 14-7 halftime lead.

GORC opened the second half with an eight-play, 62-yard scoring drive capped by a 9-yard run by Scott that put the Wildcats out front 22-7.

115-pound A Division

The Severna Park Green Hornets captured the title with a 28-21 victory over GORC.

Severna Park's defense, led by inside linebackers Ryan Metzbower and Josh Cornett, had GORC's offense stuck in reverse much of the first quarter and set up the first score for the Green Hornets.

After failing to pick up a yard on its second possession, GORC's punt was blocked by Cornett. Defensive tackle Daniel Allen scooped up the loose ball for the Green Hornets and raced 48 yards to score. Cornett added the two-point conversion kick to give Severna Park an 8-0 lead with 3:40 left in the first quarter.

Severna Park recovered the ensuing onside kick and took over at its 47. Ten plays later, the Green Hornets scored on a 1-yard plunge by Cornett. Cornett's kick gave the Hornets a 16-0 lead with 9:28 to go in the half.

The Wildcats closed to within 10 when Rocco Queen found 31 yards of running room on a counter trap.

The Green Hornets took a 22-6 lead early in the second half, driving 50 yards on eight plays. Ryan Metzbower scored from 2 yards out on a keeper.

On GORC's next possession, Queen scored on a 37-yard flanker reverse. Dane Marquardt hit Ricky Graves for the one-point conversion and the Wildcats trailed 22-13.

Severna Park drove 39 yards for a touchdown on its next possession. Cornett gained most of the yardage, including the 6-yard touchdown run.

Norris Roy scored two touchdowns and Terence Dorsey added a third to help the GORC Wildcats to an 18-0 victory over Shady Side (11-1) in the title game.

The Wildcats (12-0) wasted no time taking advantage of excellent field position in the first quarter. GORC quarterback Chris Lundborg's screen pass to Roy went for 28 yards and set up Dorsey's 24-yard run around left end for a 6-0 lead.

Later in the first quarter, Roy broke loose up the middle and ran 49 yards to give the Wildcats a 12-0 advantage at the half.

The running of Dorsey and Roy -- and the blocking of Henry Hanburger, Mark Tribett, Jay King, Andre Penney and Jason Scott -- took its toll on Shady Side's defense in the second half as well and resulted in a 24-yard touchdown run by Roy late in the third quarter.

GORC's defensive unit held Seahawks running back Eddie Henry to 51 yards on 16 carries and his backfield mate Antwon Jones to 28 yards on 10 tries.

75-pound A Division

Brian Eslin scored two touchdowns and intercepted two passes to lead the Cape St. Claire Cougars (9-2) to an 18-6 win over the Pasadena Chargers (7-3).

From his linebacker spot, Eslin stopped an early Pasadena drive, then finished his team's ensuing drive with a 2-yard scoring burst.

A minute inside of the second quarter, Eslin stepped in front of a Chargers receiver and raced 55 yards with the interception to give Cape St. Claire a 12-0 advantage.

The halfback nearly gave his team its third touchdown, breaking several tackles en route to an apparent 72-yard run. But the play was brought back because of a clipping penalty inside the 20. On the next down, Chargers defensive lineman Mike Dunn stopped the drive by sacking Cougars quarterback Tony Magnolia.

Pasadena came back late in the third quarter, marching down the field on power running by Montae Lawson and Marcus Jones. Lawson capped the drive by scoring from 2 yards out seconds into the fourth quarter.

The Chargers then executed a successful onside kick, as Jay Long recovered the ball just inside Cougars territory. Jones ran 16 yards to put the ball on the Cape St. Claire 31, where the drive sputtered on a botched halfback option play.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.