Dougherty leads Fallston to title Boys soccer

November 22, 1992|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,Staff Writer

Fallston High School captured its first state championship in boys soccer yesterday when it whipped Easton, 7-1, in a Class 1A game at Old Mill High School that was no match after 10 minutes.

All-everything Shane Dougherty scored Fallston's first three goals, later added another and collected one assist, breaking the school assist record in the process.

Easton, unbeaten during the regular season, sealed its fate when it played a zone defense and failed to mark Dougherty.

"Their defense was not that good, and when they didn't mark me, it created some open situations," said Dougherty, Harford County's Player of the Year.

This season, the 5-foot-6, 135-pound striker had 36 goals (four off Greg Barger's school record) and 11 assists. The figures gave him career totals of 70 goals (Barger holds the school record with 90) and 37 assists. He had shared the previous assist mark with Barger at 36.

"The biggest shock was their not marking Shane," said his coach, Len Petrey, finally able to savor success on his fourth trip to the championship game. Over the past 12 years, the Cougars have won eight county and seven regional titles but had lost the championship game in 1982, 1983 and 1990.

"I think the big thing for us was we played a lot more relaxed," Petrey added. "We were better prepared mentally and demonstrated confidence."

Rob D'Angelo, senior sweeper and a tri-captain with Dougherty and back Dan Bowers, confirmed this aspect of pre-game readiness. "Our defense was pumped for this one. We knew if we scored, our defense would make them good."

In four playoff games, Fallston outscored its opposition, 27-2, and Dougherty had 13 goals.

Earlier in the week, Bowers had said the first 10 minutes would determine the game's tempo and they did -- all Fallston. In less time than that it was Dougherty 2, Easton 0, as he converted passes from junior Kevin Morgan and senior Brad Siptroth.

Easton closed the gap to 2-1 at 13 minutes, 10 seconds, when Donald Moore crossed the ball to Travis Weems at a post, and Weems deflected it into the corner.

Less than three minutes later, Dougherty was back with his third score, taking a pass from Fred Sheckells.

Fallston boosted its margin to 4-1 in the final minute of the half when sophomore Mike Giuffrida beat a defender to a ball in the corner, then set up senior Chris Jones.

The champions put it away with a three-goal flurry by Giuffrida, Dougherty and Brian Benner.

Easton starting goalkeeper Jason Haddaway went down with 12 minutes left in the game. He had come out to make a stop and broke his ankle when he pivoted to get back.

When Giuffrida got his goal, he collided with the keeper and left the game with a mild concussion.

While sheer talent was the main difference in the two teams, experience helped, too, as Fallston started seven seniors, three juniors and a sophomore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.