Overlea falls behind early, doesn't catch Damascus in 6-0 loss Bigger Falcons beaten in Class 2A semifinal

November 21, 1992|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

Terry Ward hoped to win last night's Class 2A state football semifinal in the trenches, where Damascus had one lineman weighing more than 200 pounds, and his Overlea Falcons averaged 230.

Problem was, his Falcons (10-2) dug themselves an early hole in the first quarter, were penalized 10 times for 88 yards overall and blew four solid chances to pull out a victory.

So the seventh-ranked, second seed Falcons -- particularly All-Metro running back Tyrese Barmer (15 carries, 55 yards), left Dundalk Community College with a 6-0 loss and feeling as if they had beaten themselves more than the Hornets (11-1) did.

"There were a lot of things that happened in this game, a few mistakes that we made that we shouldn't have," said running back Dan Brown, who -- after gaining 17 yards on a reverse -- coughed up a fumble at the Damascus 10 with 7:35 remaining in the game.

"I wear a rib pad, and when I fell, the ball hit that and came out. I thought I might have been down."

Damascus coach Al Thomas, whose Hornets play next week against the winner of today's 2A semifinal between Walkersville and Fort Hill, had nothing but praise for Ward and the Falcons.

"I think their line was definitely a factor, they contained our running game well and our pass," Thomas said. "Their program has come a long way."

So did the Hornets -- and not to lose. Both teams had successful ground games in victories last week, with Barmer (1,412 yards, 20 touchdowns entering the game) rushing for three touchdowns on 216 yards in a 20-0 win over Wicomico. And in its 36-6 win over Glenelg, Damascus -- a state finalist in 1989 and 1990 -- got a combined 332 yards from Jody Trammel (5 feet 11, 175) and Alister Pinckney (6-0,190).

But Overlea held Trammell (19 touchdowns) to 71 yards, and Pinckney to 97 -- most of that coming in the second half.

Overlea opened the second half with Bernard Fitchette's 42-yard pass to Igwe Blount, but Fitchette fumbled on the next play at the Damascus 30.

Ward, whose four-year record fell to 40-6, went with Shante Dukes as quarterback in the fourth period, and Dukes (eight carries, 61 yards) was troublesome because of his scrambling.

But after Blount's fumble, the Hornets ate up the clock. Overlea got the ball back with two minutes left, but the Hornets held, and -- with 43 seconds left -- regained possession and ran out the clock.

The Hornets had 89 yards of offense in the first half, compared with Overlea's 87, with Barmer rushing 10 times for 35 yards -- 8 of which came in the first quarter.

Damascus scored on its second possession of the game with 1:50 left in the first period. Brandt Childs capped a seven-play, 66-yard drive with his 11-yard touchdown pass to Matt Meiklejohn.

Overlea, which was penalized seven times for 68 yards in the first half, helped keep Damascus' drive going by committing pass-interfearance and holding penalties.

The Falcons, who had the ball just once in the first quarter, missed two opportunities to score in the second.

One drive stalled at the Damascus 21 after 11 plays and 34 yards, and the other at the Hornets' 7 with two minutes left in the half.

"It was just a matter of us not scoring when we had the chance," said Barmer.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.