Dr. Raymond AtkinsSurgeonDr. Raymond M. Atkins, a general...


November 18, 1992

Dr. Raymond Atkins


Dr. Raymond M. Atkins, a general and vascular surgeon who was a past president of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland, died Friday of cancer at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

A memorial service for Dr. Atkins, who was 65 and had moved from Roland Park to Wyndham Road in Lutherville about five years ago, was to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Second Presbyterian Church, 4200 St. Paul St.

Dr. Atkins retired at the end of October after maintaining a surgical practice in Baltimore for a little more than 30 years. He was chief of staff at Church Hospital from 1975 until 1981 and had also been on the staffs of the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and Union Memorial, St. Joseph and Good Samaritan hospitals.

He was president of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty, the state medical society, in 1989 and 1990. He was also a past president of the Baltimore City Medical Society.

A native of Marlinton, W.Va., who was reared there and in Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and attended several colleges under a World War II program for prospective naval officers.

The war ended before he completed the program, and he went on to graduate from the University of Maryland and its medical school.

As an officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, he interned at the service's hospital in Baltimore.

From 1954 until 1956, he maintained a general practice in Chestertown but decided to specialize in surgery and returned to Baltimore for a residency at Church Hospital before he opened another practice.

He was a physician in the National Guard and then in the Army Reserve, from which he retired as a command surgeon with the rank of colonel. His decorations included the Legion of Merit.

A diplomate of the American Board of Surgery, he was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.

Fond of reading, especially about history and the Civil War, he also liked to hunt bear at his cattle farm in the Marlinton area.

He was a member of the St. George's Society and the Society of the Sons of the Revolution.

Dr. Atkins is survived by his wife, the former Julia Anne Todd Lacey; two daughters, Julia Anne Haciski of Baltimore and Elizabeth Woodcock Atkins of New York City; two sons, Raymond M. Atkins Jr. of Lutherville and William Paul Atkins of Washington; and nine grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the University of Maryland Cancer Center.

Linwood Thompson

Retired A&P clerk

Linwood Chesnutt Thompson, a retired clerk for A&P Food Stores, died Saturday after a heart attack at the Marley Station Mall.

Services for the 54-year-old Ferndale resident were conducted yesterday.

Mr. Thompson retired after a heart attack in 1974 after 13 years of service with the grocery company. Born in Wilmington, N.C., but reared in the Glen Burnie area, he was a graduate of Glen Burnie High School and served in the Air Force in the late 1950s.

He was a member of the Glen Burnie Lodge of the Moose, the Ferndale United Methodist Church and the National Rifle Association. He was a collector of guns who liked to shoot at target ranges and was also fond of restoring 1950s automobiles and listening to music of the period.

He is survived by a daughter, Teresa Lynn Pyles of Jerrardstown, W.Va.; his mother, Maggie Lou Thompson of Seaford, Del.; two sisters, Sylvia Vantrese of Seaford and Betty Polaski of Pasadena; his fiance, Mae Libertini of Glen Burnie; a friend, Evelyn Enders of Glen Burnie; and a granddaughter.

Glenn B. Sweetman

Lawyer, accountant

Glenn B. Sweetman, a Baltimore lawyer and certified public accountant, died Sept. 15 of a brain lesion at his mother's home in Matamoras, Pa.

Services for Mr. Sweetman, 41, were conducted Sept. 18.

Reared in Milford, Pa., he attended Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, Pa., and received his law degree from the University of Baltimore.

He lived in Mount Vernon on Cathedral Street in the 1970s and worked as a legislative assistant for state Sen. Julian L. Lapides. He took a job with Fidelity and Deposit Co. in 1977 and later worked for State Farm Insurance.

In the early 1980s, Mr. Sweetman worked as a CPA for Arthur Young and Co. He restored several town houses on Melvin Drive and lived in the Ridgely's Delight neighborhood until 1984.

In 1982, he ran unsuccessfully for a Baltimore City Council seat in the 6th District. From 1984 to 1991, he lived in Philadelphia and pursued his interest in the restaurant business, attending the Restaurant School there.

In the late 1980s, Mr. Sweetman worked for the Office of the Inspector General of the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) in Philadelphia, where he conducted audits. In the spring of 1991, he worked as an attorney in the Office of Counsel to the Inspector General at GSA in Washington. He received a permanent appointment as an attorney in that office and was employed there until his death.

Last December 1991, he moved back to Baltimore and lived on East 39th Street.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.