Margaret G. MuchaAccount managerA memorial Mass for...


November 18, 1992

Margaret G. Mucha

Account manager

A memorial Mass for Margaret "Nancy" Glenn Mucha, an individual account manager for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Maryland, was celebrated Nov. 13 at Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church in Towson.

Ms. Mucha, who resided in the 6800 block of Queens Ferry Road, died Nov. 12 at her Glenmont home in East Towson after a long battle with cancer. She was 49.

The former Nancy Glenn was born and reared in Waverly and educated at St. Bernard's School on Gorsuch Avenue.

She graduated from Seton High School in 1961 and attended Baltimore Junior College while working for C&P Telephone Co. as a customer relations representative.

In 1968, she married Ronald M. Mucha and shortly thereafter left C&P to rear her family while continuing her education at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland.

She returned to the work force in the early 1980s at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Maryland. She worked as an individual account manager until about six weeks ago, when she became too ill to continue.

She was on the board of directors of The Wellness Community of Baltimore, a new center -- one of 10 in the nation -- that will offer counseling, educational workshops and support to cancer patients and their families.

The center is scheduled to open after the first of the year on Dulaney Valley Road in Towson.

Ms. Mucha enjoyed aerobic dancing and was an instructor for several years at the Towson Branch of the YMCA.

In addition to Mr. Mucha, her former husband and longtime friend, she is survived by two sons, R. Matthew Mucha and Michael G. Mucha, and a daughter, Monica A. Mucha, all of Towson; a sister, Elizabeth G. Aires of Baltimore; and two brothers, James N. Glenn and John E. Glenn, both of Baltimore.

The family asks that memorial donations be made to the Union Memorial Hospice Program, 201 E. University Parkway, Baltimore, Md. 21218.

Birdie M. Parr

Hospital volunteer

Birdie M. Parr, who did more than 30,000 hours of volunteer work at the Montebello Rehabilitation Hospital, died Saturday of pneumonia at Sinai Hospital.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Parr, who was 89 and moved to the Charlestown Retirement Community from Gardenville in 1989, was offered yesterday.

The former Birdie M. Warrington was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of Eastern High School.

Her husband, Gerard J. Parr, retired office manager for the American Oil Co., died in 1971.

She did her volunteer work between 1972 and 1989 and was made a life member of the Montebello auxiliary.

She is survived by a son, James G. Parr of Woodlawn, and two grandchildren.

Walter J. Lockard

Retired engineer

Walter John Lockard, a native of Baltimore and a retired engineer for Hughes Aircraft Co., died Saturday at a hospital in Abingdon, Va., after a blood vessel ruptured.

Services for the 70-year-old Abingdon resident were to be conducted at 1 p.m. today at the Parkwood Cemetery, 3310 Taylor Ave.

Mr. Lockard, who was known as Jack, was a native of the Mount Washington area and attended the Johns Hopkins University. A chief petty officer and a diver in the U.S. Navy during World War II, he worked for Glenn L. Martin Co. here before being sent to Tucson, Ariz., in 1962 to do field engineering.

He also worked for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in Mississippi before joining Hughes. He belonged to Masonic lodges in Tucson and in Abingdon.

Mr. Lockard is survived by his wife, the former Ruth Davis, and several cousins.

Ervin A. Kummer

Railroad executive

Ervin August Kummer, who started as an office boy and ended up as head of the real estate department for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Co., died Oct. 15.

Mr. Kummer, 86, spent 27 years with the B&O railroad, the last five as head of real estate.

In 1947, he went to work for the American Oil Co., managing its real estate department. He retired in 1970 at the age of 65 but continued as a consultant.

Mr. Kummer was best known for his ability to assemble large tracts of land for major industrial projects. In 1938 and 1939, he worked for the federal government, assembling sites for munitions plants. The largest tract had more than 250 owners and covered some 20,000 acres in Ohio.

A native of Baltimore, Mr. Kummer began working at the age of 14. He graduated from Baltimore City College's evening program. His wife, the former Florence E. Egerton, died in 1981.

He is survived by a daughter, Phillis D. Tortoro of Baltimore; three brothers; six sisters; four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Marguerite L. Smith

Worked in quality control

Marguerite L. Smith, who worked in quality control for the Lord Baltimore Press, died Monday of leukemia at Carroll County General Hospital.

Services for Mrs. Smith, who was 83 and had moved from Perryville to the Carroll Lutheran Village retirement community in 1985, were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Perryville.

She had worked at Lord Baltimore Press in the 1950s and 1960s. As a young woman, she was a clerical worker for the USF&G Corp.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.