Charges brought in slaying Suspect held in death of man, 81 BALTIMORE CITY

November 18, 1992|By Michael James and Roger Twigg | Michael James and Roger Twigg,Staff Writers

A city man was charged yesterday with first-degree murder in the attack of an 81-year-old man who was beaten and sprayed with his own Mace by muggers at his East Baltimore home last month, homicide detectives said.

The victim, Michael E. Piscor, who friends said had lived in his neighborhood for over 50 years, succumbed to his injuries Monday at Church Hospital, where he was taken after the Oct. 28 attack.

As a result of Mr. Piscor's death, police obtained a warrant charging Charles Jones, 31, of the 800 block of N. Montford Ave., with first-degree murder. Mr. Jones has been held at the Baltimore City Detention Center since being arrested Nov. 9 for allegedly stealing the victim's wallet.

Mr. Piscor is the second man in his 80s to die in less than a week from injuries sustained in a Baltimore mugging. Last Wednesday, Frank Altman, 88, a colorful salesman who worked full-time, died of a heart attack after being jumped and robbed on North Wolfe Street.

Homicide Detective Donald K. Ossmus said Mr. Jones is also being investigated in connection with a series of attacks on senior citizens in Southeast Baltimore. Police in the Southeastern District were unable to provide specific details, but Detective Ossmus said there have been about a dozen incidents in which elderly people have been attacked and robbed.

Mr. Piscor, who had retired several years ago from the Bethlehem Steel Corp. plant at Sparrows Point, was entering his home in the 600 block of N. Belnord Ave. when two men jumped him from behind about 4:45 p.m. Oct. 28, police said.

The attackers began beating him in the vestibule of the house and knocked him to the floor. Mr. Piscor, who carried a can of Chemical Mace for his protection, pulled it out in an attempt to ward off his attackers, but they took it from him and sprayed him in the face, police said.

The attackers then took his wallet containing over $100 from his pants pocket, police said.

Mr. Piscor was admitted to the hospital with a broken left hip and several broken ribs. He died at 8:15 p.m. Monday of complications from those injuries, police said.

An assistant state medical examiner ruled yesterday that Mr. Piscor died as a result of the attack and the cause of death was ruled homicide.

Investigators are still seeking the second man in the attack.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.