Johns Hopkins eschews the pass and runs past Western Maryland, 21-9 Blue Jays slow Terrors' Johnson

November 15, 1992|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,Staff Writer

For all of the talk about emotional rivalries, winning it for the seniors and trick plays, Johns Hopkins' 21-9 victory over Western Maryland came down to two basics yesterday: The Blue Jays were able to run the ball and the Green Terrors weren't.

Western Maryland's Rob Johnson came in as the No. 4 rusher in Division III, and while he got 101 yards on 29 carries, it was his second-lowest yardage of the season. Hopkins slowed him early, went ahead in the second quarter andmade two freshman quarterbacks throw. The result was six interceptions by the Blue Jays secondary, the most thrown by the Green Terrors, who have been playing football since 1891.

Johns Hopkins, meanwhile, shelved its potent passing game and ran 60 times before 2,591 fans who watched the mistake-filled game at Homewood Field. Hari Lymon, a freshman from City, carried 34 times for 206 yards and two touchdowns, the second a 79-yarder that put the Blue Jays on top to stay with 6:44 left in the second quarter.

"Rob Johnson is a great back, and throughout the game we were waiting for his one big run," Hopkins coach Jim Margraff said. "He never got it, and that was one of the reasons we won."

Johns Hopkins finished 6-4, its most victories since 1985, and 4-3 in the Centennial Football Conference. Western Maryland, which began the season 4-0, dropped its fourth straight to end 5-5, 4-3.

The Green Terrors jumped on top early, as a pass interference call against the Blue Jays set up Johnson's 2-yard touchdown run with 9:14 left in the first quarter. The Western Maryland offense was blanked the rest of the way en route to its lowest point production of the season, as coach Dale Sprague vainly sought a replacement as mobile as quarterback Paul McCord, who suffered broken ribs in a 25-20 loss to Swarthmore Nov. 7.

Brian Van Deusen was picked off three times before giving way in the fourth quarter to Phil Getty, who also threw was intercepted three times. Cornerback Ryan McCrum had three interceptions and safety Tom Baugher two.

"I don't feel we got beat, as much as we handed Johns Hopkins the game on a silver platter," Sprague said. "We had receivers open all day long. What we ran is not my style of offense."

It was a Western Maryland fumble, and not an interception, that shifted momentum early in the second half.

Hopkins had tied it at 7 on Lymon's 6-yard run with 6:53 left in the second quarter, but Western Maryland moved to within 3 yards of the go-ahead touchdown with 10 minutes left in the third quarter. Van Deusen lost a snap that was recovered by linebacker Ed Lineen, one of the Blue Jays seniors who ended their careers with a 3-1 record over the Green Terrors.

Four plays later, on its 21-yard line, Hopkins caught Western Maryland blitzing. Lymon swept left, and once he got through the line, he ran untouched for 79 yards and a 14-7 lead with 6:44 left in the third quarter. On both touchdown runs, Lymon followed blocks by right tackle Mike Miller.

The Blue Jays used trickery to pad the lead. The option reverse isusually called for Scott Cade, but he was among the dozen or so starters from both teams sidelined by injury. In his place, Dan Flynn took the reverse from Lymon and found an open Joe Richards for a 16-yard touchdown and a 21-7 lead with 8:31 left.

Johns Hopkins 0 7 7 7 -- 21

Western Maryland 7 0 0 2 -- 9

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.