Glenelg finally boots Oakland Mills jinx, 2-1 Gladiators advance to Class 2A final Boys soccer

November 15, 1992|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,Staff Writer

The Glenelg boys soccer team never had beaten Oakland Mills. It has now.

Glenelg (12-2-1) never had made it to a state final. It has now.

The fifth-ranked Gladiators scored on a penalty kick and a deflection off an Oakland Mills player to capture the Class 2A semifinal at Catonsville Community College yesterday, 2-1.

Glenelg had plenty of heroes, including goalkeeper Russell Payne, sweeper Keever Frye and marking back Jamie Brinker, )) who stopped Oakland Mills' top scoring threat, Ted Lawler.

Glenelg's defense played by far the most important role in the victory. It turned back repeated first-half offensive threats by seventh-ranked Oakland Mills (10-3-2). The Scorpions outshot Glenelg 8-2 in that half and dominated the midfield.

However, Glenelg scored first in the ninth minute on a penalty kick. Oakland Mills fullback Andre Jones tackled Renard Brown in the penalty area. Brown converted the penalty kick, his second in two attempts this season. It was his 12th goal.

Only moments before that, Oakland Mills nearly had a penalty kick called in its favor when Rob Ricketts was tripped in the penalty area. Ricketts stumbled but did not go down, so no call was made.

"The referee had his whistle at his lips and I think he would have called it had Ricketts gone down," said Oakland Mills coach Don Shea.

Ricketts had Oakland Mills' best scoring chance in the 32nd minute. Alex Amponsah dribbled free in the right corner and crossed the ball to Ricketts 5 yards out from the goal, but Ricketts' left-footed shot was weak, and Glenelg's Russell Payne made one of his nine saves.

Other than the penalty kick, Glenelg didn't have a shot in the first half until Dan Gaertner's shot in the 40th minute.

It was a different game in the second half, as Oakland Mills gradually wore down, and Glenelg created some late offensive opportunities.

First, Oakland Mills battled back to tie it in the 55th minute on a penalty kick. Renard Brown used his hands to stop Ricketts' shot in the penalty area. Brent Mascott converted the penalty kick.

But Glenelg went ahead again two minutes later. Marc Rey lofted a direct kick from the 40-yard line to the front of Oakland Mills' goal. The ball grazed the head of Glenelg's Scott Cline and was batted away by Oakland Mills goalkeeper Jason Kranefeld.

The ball then deflected off the leg of Oakland Mills Andre Jones back into the net for the winning goal.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.