North County unable to keep up with Northwestern P.G. County power ousts Knights, 4-2

November 14, 1992

When discussing his team's chances against Northwestern of Prince George's County earlier this week, North County boys soccer coach Steve Malone said: "These guys aren't going to leave anything on the field. If they go down, it won't be for lack of playing hard."

The Knights played hard for 80 minutes last night. And they went down to defeat anyway.

Second-seed Northwestern used its superior speed to build an early advantage, then held off a furious rally from third-seed North County to win, 4-2, in the state Class 4A semifinals at Arundel High.

Senior Nyenforh Peters scored twice in the first half for the Wildcats (14-0-1), who will meet the winner of the game between top seed Churchill and fourth seed La Plata for the championship next Saturday at Old Mill. The Knights, making their first state-playoffs appearance in the school's three-year history, finished at 12-3.

Sophomores Kanteah Peters and Milton Guerrero also scored for Northwestern, which led 3-0 at halftime. Senior Shawn Moyer brought the Knights to within 3-2 on two goals 15 minutes into the second half. Some acrobatic saves from junior keeper Ryan Seggerty held the Wildcats in check until Nyenforh Peters converted a pass from Guerrero at 18:05.

"We were getting opportunities in the first half, we just weren't finishing," said Moyer (24 goals, four assists). "Somebody needed to come out [after halftime] and give a spark. I tried to do everything I could to give a boost."

His first goal came on a header off a long crossing pass from senior Scott Lam just 1:30 into the second half. The Knights continued to press until Moyer scored again when he ran down a loose ball about 5 yards from the net and lined a shot past Northwestern keeper Melvin Barrera (13 saves).

North County outshot the Wildcats 17-9 in the second half, but it couldn't overcome the early deficit.

"I think they spent a lot of energy scoring those two goals," said Northwestern coach Tom Stickles. "I didn't think they could do that, but they're a quality team. You don't get this far without having something.

"Fortunately, the fourth goal put a nail in them. Had we not gotten that goal, I think they would have tied the game very quickly."

The Wildcats' speed was most evident on their first two goals. Nyenforh Peters dribbled through a cluster of defenders and scored at 11 minutes, and Prince Peters raced down the right sideline and crossed a pass to Guerrero for another goal at 17:58.

Nyenforh Peters hit the crossbar with a shot late in the first half, and Kanteah Peters scored off the deflection. But the Knights didn't go quietly.

"It was their speed against our heart. Speed won the first half, heart won the second," Malone said.

"They were determined that we were going to still win this game. They just refused to give in. I told them I could have been a lot happier if we won, but there's no way I could have been any prouder."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.