Jury deadlocks on vendor slaying

November 14, 1992|By Alan J. Craver and Frank Langfitt | Alan J. Craver and Frank Langfitt,Staff Writers

The retrial of a Bowie man convicted in the 1987 slaying of a popular 85-year-old vendor has ended in a deadlocked jury in Howard Circuit Court.

Judge James Dudley granted a defense motion for a mistrial late Thursday after the jury couldn't make up its mind following two days of deliberations.

Jurors were unable to break a deadlock in which all but one voted to convict the defendant, Nuri Tuncer Icgoren, of first-degree murder.

"We had no reasonable doubts in our minds," Foreman Robert Boyle said of the 11 jurors who voted to convict. However, "this one person was adamant that there wasn't enough evidence."

Mr. Icgoren had also been charged with robbery, robbery with a dangerous weapon and assault and battery.

Howard County State's Attorney William Hymes said Mr. Icgoren, 39, will remain in the Howard County Detention Center until he can be tried a third time.

Mr. Icgoren was found guilty of first-degree murder during a court trial in May 1988 and sentenced to life in prison. However, the state Court of Special Appeals overturned the verdict and ordered a new trial.

The appeals court ruled that some evidence, including information showing that Mr. Icgoren had given the victim bad checks, should not have been admitted.

Mr. Icgoren, a Turkish immigrant who was an exercise rider at Bowie Race Course, is accused of stabbing Raymond M. Jerman Sr. six times during a robbery along U.S. 1 in North Laurel on Sept. 29, 1987. Mr. Icgoren testified Monday that he did not rob or kill Mr. Jerman, although he admitted to fleeing after finding the body.

He told the jury that he had been driving along U.S. 1 on the way to Pimlico Race Track when he saw Mr. Jerman's pickup parked along the highway.

Mr. Icgoren said he went to check on Mr. Jerman, who seemed to be leaning forward in the cab.

"I called his name," the defendant said. "There was no response. I thought he had a heart attack."

Mr. Icgoren said he did not see any blood on Mr. Jerman's clothing or notice any money in either the vendor's pockets or truck.

The defendant said he then drove away, but stopped later at a Jessup service station and considered calling the police, deciding decided against it because he feared being interrogated.

The victim, who sold soda, snacks and produce from a pickup at area tracks, regularly cashed checks for racetrack workers.

It was common knowledge that Mr. Jerman carried large amounts of money in his pockets or in the truck, according to testimony.

Prosecution witnesses testified that Mr. Icgoren sped from the Bowie track in a 1977 Ford Ranchero, following Mr. Jerman as he left at about 12:30 p.m.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.