East Columbia

November 11, 1992

Faulty wiring blamed for fire in Columbia house

A 50-year-old Columbia woman escaped injuries Sunday morning when a faulty lamp wire sparked a fire that caused about $20,000 in damage to her town house.

Iris Hofman, of the 5700 block of Thunder Hill Road, was in the shower when she smelled smoke coming from her bedroom about 8 a.m. Sunday, said Deputy Fire Marshal Faron Taylor. Ms. Hofman gathered her two cats and ran out the front door, he said.

"It was a good thing she was awake at the time," Mr. Taylor said. "The results could have been significantly different."

He said the house was not equipped with smoke detectors.

An investigation by the state fire marshal determined that the fire was accidental and that the bedroom lamp's faulty wire caused the fire, Mr. Taylor said.

POLICE LOG

* Kings Contrivance: 10100 block of Goodin Lane: A front door was kicked in Sunday, but entry wasn't gained. The suspect may have fled when the resident turned on the lights.

* 10100 block of Donleigh Drive: An intruder entered an unlocked house Sunday and took jewelry, a VCR and a pillow case.

* Owen Brown: 6500 block of Quiet Hours: A beige 1988 Toyota Tercel was stolen Saturday or Sunday. There was no license plate on the Toyota.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.