Dr. Anna R. BerkyCytologist, pathologistDr. Anna R. Berky...

OBITUARIES

November 09, 1992

Dr. Anna R. Berky

Cytologist, pathologist

Dr. Anna R. Berky, a retired cytologist and pathologist, died Friday of congestive heart failure at Union Memorial Hospital. She was 73.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Mitchell-Wiedefeld funeral home, 6500 York Road.

Born in Kaba, Hungary, in 1919, the former Anna Rebecca Tozser earned a medical degree in pathology in 1944 from the Medical School of Debrecen, where she also taught histology, biology and anatomy.

She met her husband, Gyula Berky, a captain in the Hungarian army and later a civil engineer, while she was a university student. The couple fled the Russian invasion of Hungary during World War II and settled in Germany for a decade.

Dr. Berky was a laboratory director for the International Refugee Organization's Tuberculosis Rehabilitation Center in Mittenwald, West Germany, from 1949 to 1951, and was licensed to practice medicine in 1953 by the State University of Munich.

The couple was sponsored by Lutheran Refugee Services in New York in emigrating to the United States in 1956. Dr. Berky, her husband and their two young sons settled in New Jersey, where Dr. Berky obtained a position at St. Peter's General Hospital in New Brunswick.

In 1957, the family moved to Baltimore, where Dr. Berky became a research associate at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health and Mr. Berky got a job as a civil engineer. Dr. Berky worked at the school until 1959, when she began a one-year internship at Union Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Berky died in 1958.

Dr. Berky became a U.S. citizen in 1961 and was a member of the Women's Medical Association and the Hungarian Medical Association of America.

She was a pathology fellow from 1961 to 1962 at the University of Maryland and an assistant resident pathologist from 1962 to 1964 at the old Baltimore City Hospitals. She also worked as a pathologist at the Perry Point Veterans Administration Hospital in Havre de Grace.

She retired in 1987 after 18 years as a pathologist for the Physician Services lab in Towson.

She is survived by her two sons, Julius and Joseph Berky, both of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

Betty K. Tselepis

Managed restaurants

Betty K. Tselepis, a homemaker who worked with her husband in the family's restaurant business, died of cancer Saturday at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Services for Mrs. Tselepis, who lived in Timonium, will be held 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, Maryland Avenue and Preston Street.

The former Betty K. Bisbikis was born in East St. Louis, Ill., and nTC raised in Weirton W.Va. She moved to Baltimore with her family at the age of 16.

In 1952 she married Frank N. Tselepis, then owner of the Pine Ridge Restaurant at 1034 York Road. She worked in the restaurant business with him doing office work and as a hostess. The couple also managed the Hunt Ridge Restaurant. Mrs. Tselepis was a member of the Bou-Tem-Sci Club, a women's auxiliary at Boumi Temple.

Surviving, in addition to her husband, are a son, Nicholas Frank Tselepis of Timonium; a daughter, Sophia Gunzelman of Timonium; two sisters, Mary L. Xintas and Erma Morris, both of Baltimore; two grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the churches of the Greek Orthodox community in Baltimore, including the Cathedral of the Annunciation, St. Nicholas at 520 S. Ponca St., and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, 2504 Cub Hill Road.

Patricia Todd Warth

Biology instructor

Patricia Todd Warth, a retired biology laboratory instructor at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, died of cancer Saturday at St. Joseph Hospital. The longtime Homeland resident was 66.

A Mass of Resurrection for Mrs. Warth will be offered at 10 a.m. todayat Villa Assumpta Chapel at the School Sisters of Notre Dame motherhouse at Charles Street and Bellona Avenue.

The Baltimore native taught at the College of Notre Dame from 1963 until retiring earlier this year. From 1948 to 1952, she worked in the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health.

Mrs. Warth was the first president of the Alphi Xi Chapter of the Beta Beta Beta Biology Honor Society and was president of the Alumnae Association at the College of Notre Dame.

She graduated from Notre Dame Preparatory School and the College of Notre Dame.

Her husband, Albin H. Warth Jr., died in 1962. They had been married 14 years.

She is survived by a son, Albin H. Warth III of Nashua, N.H.; a daughter Jane Marie Warth of Baltimore; and a sister, Sister Dolores Marie Todd, S.S.N.D., of Baltimore.

The family suggested memorial contributions may be made in Mrs. Warth's name to the School Sisters of Notre Dame, 6401 N. Charles St., Baltimore, Md., 21212.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.