Kyler helps No. 6 Poly edge No. 3 Gilman, 14-13

November 08, 1992|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

Sekou Selli is Poly's big-play threat, but for anyone who may have forgotten, the sixth-ranked Engineers have another dangerous player -- junior Greg Kyler.

And after his effort in the Engineers' come-from-behind, 14-13 victory over visiting Gilman yesterday, it is doubtful anyone will need to be reminded of him.

Kyler, who runs a 4.4 40-yard --, had 119 offensive yards and a touchdown against the third-ranked Greyhounds, who have the best defense in the Maryland Scholastic Association's A Conference -- if not the area.

The Engineers (6-2, 6-1) trailed, 13-0, after Gilman's Reid Armbruster (12 carries, 69 yards) scored a 24-yard touchdown with 1:56 left in the first half.

But Khary Tucker returned the kickoff 28 yards to the Gilman 41, and three plays later, Mike Forstner found Kyler in mid-stride on the end of a 30-yard touchdown pass. Forst- ner, whose conversion run made it 13-8, helped to sustain the drive with an 11-yard run.

"It was a deep post pattern, and I saw their defensive back [Jimmy Zimmerman] was playing me close," said Kyler, a 6-foot-1, 162-pounder. "So I just used my speed to get through their zone."

Gilman (7-2, 6-2) entered the game having outscored its opponents, 147-25, with five shutouts, and had been keying on Kyler's running mate, 4.3 speedster Selli.

Selli was held to 33 yards on 10 carries, but Kyler's misdirection runs helped his friend to score his 10th touchdown -- a 12-yarder -- with 3:59 left in the third period. Selli's run capped a four-play, 75-yard march that included runs of 14 and 55 yards by Kyler, who rushed six times for 73 yards and caught three passes for 46 on the day.

"Their linebackers were keying on Selli," said Poly coach Augie Waibel. "We're not the biggest team in the world, so I felt like we could mislead them."

The victory put the Engineers back in the race for the league crown with top-ranked City (8-0, 7-0).

Tucker called the win "the biggest of the season" and "a gut check" after last week's 12-7 loss to Salesianum, Delaware's top-ranked team. In that game, Tucker returned a punt 78 yards for an apparent touchdown and a 13-6 lead, but it was reversed on a clipping call.

Yesterday, however, the Engineers were on the favorable end of a controversial call.

It occurred with a little more than four minutes left in the game, after Gilman had marched 73 yards in 13 plays to the Poly 4. Gilman's Mike Allan lined up for his 21-yard field-goal attempt, which went up and tailed left as it approached the goal posts.

Gilman's players threw their hands skyward as if the field goal counted, but referee John Barton, standing behind Allan as the kick left his foot, ruled it no good.

The Gilman bench was frenzied with anger, while Poly's rejoiced. Barton would not comment on the call after the game.

The Greyhounds got the ball back a minute later and drove to the Poly 8, where Allan missed another attempt -- this time from 24 yards -- as it bounced off the bottom crossbar.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.