Owls persist for 2-1 win over Gators Westminster in line to defend 4A title

November 07, 1992|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Staff Writer

The scoreboard indicated that this was a close game, but everybody who watched host Westminster turn back Perry Hall, 2-1, yesterday in the state 4A, Region II field hockey championship game knew better.

Including Perry Hall coach Linda Fisher. "We never got started," Fisher said. "We came here and were so hyper and kept giving Westminster all those corners. But you have to remember Westminster is a strong team."

The defending state 4A champion Owls dominated 59 of the 60 minutes, racking up 37 corners and 23 shots to six corners and three shots for the Gators.

But all Westminster had to show for it at the end was two second-half goals by Tinah Houck and Anitha Naganna to overcome a 1-0 Perry Hall halftime lead.

"This is the way we seem to play every game," said Houck, who leads the Owls with 16 goals and two assists. "We want to start scoring in the first half, but we feel great right now. We want to go all the way."

Naganna scored what proved to be the winning goal off an assist by Houck with 4:05 left. Naganna charged to the goal and knocked in a rebound of a shot by Houck.

It was one of several times that the Perry Hall defense and Gators goalkeeper Stacey Davis (13 saves) had stopped a Houck shot. But this time, Naganna was on the scene to give Westminster a repeat trip to the 4A final four.

Houck had tied the score at 1 four minutes into the second half on an 8-yard shot off a pass from Aurora Brown.

The Owls (12-2) seemed to be caught off guard with one minute left in the first half when the Gators (8-3) broke down the field for a goal by Kerri Johnson off an assist by Jennifer Godwin for a 1-0 lead.

Owls co-coaches Sue Hooper and Brenda Baker said they remained calm and told their players at halftime they would be scoring soon in the second half.

Hooper said: "I told them there was no way we could dominate a game like this and lose. I knew it was just a matter of time before we scored. I knew we would come back."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.