U-boat skipper recalls good hunting off East Coast

November 02, 1992|By Carl Schoettler | Carl Schoettler,Berlin Bureau

BREMEN, Germany -- The old U-boat commander is still tall, erect and elegant. He's charming and affable. But he's not one bit apologetic about sinking about two dozen American and Allied ships during World War II up and down the East Coast.

"It was war," says Capt. Reinhard Hardegan. "I did my duty."

His duty as he saw it was sinking ships for Nazi Germany. He turned out to be very good at it. He's still proud of his skill.

And he's jealous of his "score," as he calls it. He once thought he'd sunk 29 ships, but later research cut his count to 24 or 25, a revision he only reluctantly accepts.

He was stalking ships along the Atlantic Coast of the United States a half-century ago. He likes to say it was then that he fired the first shots in the war between the United States and Germany.

War was declared Dec. 11, 1941. Captain Hardegan sank his first ship off the U.S. coast Jan. 14, 1942, Berlin time.

"We always set our watches to German time," he says.

"The first ship I sank was the Norness. It was south of Montauk lighthouse [off Long Island, N.Y.].

"The sinking of the Norness was the first shooting of the war," he says. "This was the exact beginning."

Two days earlier he had sunk a ship called the Cyclops in Canadian waters.

"But we had been at war with Canada already two years," he says, modestly self-deprecating. He had been a U-boat commander since December 1940, and he had already sunk his share of ships on patrols to Africa, England, Canada and Greenland.

The day after sinking the Norness, he sank the Coimbra off Cape Hatteras, N.C. He had had a busy week starting the war.

Captain Hardegan commanded a five-vessel U-boat wolf pack, the first sent out by Adm. Karl Doenitz, the German navy commander who would succeed Adolf Hitler as Germany's leader in the last week of the war. Admiral Doenitz eventually spent 10 years in prison as a war criminal.

'Operation Drumbeat'

Captain Hardegan's pack prowled the U.S. coast from Halifax to the Carolinas. They were all supposed to attack on that first day, in what the Germans called "Operation Drumbeat."

But fog, snow, or lack of targets prevented the other U-boats from firing. Captain Hardegan had to start the war by himself.

The tag "U-boat" comes from the German word for submarine, "unterseeboot." Captain Hardegan commanded U-123, or as he says "OOOH-one-two-three."

He's 79 now. But, with his assured air and in a blue blazer with an artfully displayed white handkerchief, he still has some of the -- of the young naval officer in the perhaps idealized portrait of him that dominates the salon of his home near here.

He was sinking ships practically in the surf on the two patrols he led in early 1942.

He remembers vividly torpedoing a ship called the Gulf America off Jacksonville Beach, Fla. People lined the shore to watch.

"I sank this tanker. It was four miles off the coast," he says. "When the tanker was burning, all the motorcars came to the coast, and we saw them, all with full lights.

"There was no blackout. I could see the big wheel [the Ferris wheel] in the amusement park and all the lights and the motorcars and the hotel in full light.

"It was very easy for me," he says. "I could see the ship silhouetted against the lights."

He surfaced to finish off the Gulf America with his deck gun. But he says he didn't want to fire because he was close enough for a long round to land among the people on shore.

"So I turned around," he says. "I went between the ship and the beach. It was dangerous for me. I didn't know if there was artillery on the coast."

Americans remember him

He visited Jacksonville a couple of years ago, arriving peacefully this time, by plane. He talked with people who had seen the Gulf America sink.

"I saw you," he recalled one woman saying to him. "I saw you silhouetted against the burning tanker."

And he spoke with survivors of ships he'd sunk. He speaks excellent English.

Few were resentful.

"They were very fair," he says.

He met the daughters of the captain of the City of Atlanta, who went down with his ship when Captain Hardegan torpedoed it in 1942.

"Two ladies about 70," he says. " 'We're not angry with you,' " they said. " 'He had two guns on board. He knew this was war. If he would be lucky, perhaps he would have shelled you and sunk you with his guns. But you were more lucky.' "

Captain Hardegan did take his hits in his turn.

"On every patrol," he says, "I had depth charges by destroyers, I had bombs by airplanes, and I had artillery fire.

"I had a lot of hits on my boat from artillery, but always not so serious damage, so I could always come back.

"Also a midshipman on the bridge quite near to me died. Hit by artillery. He lost his leg and so on. Half an hour, he died."

On the second patrol, U-123 was badly damaged by depth charges in 60 feet of water. Captain Hardegan lay silent on the bottom, then slowly eased U-123 into deeper water out of danger, a fearsome task.

"It was war," he says. "War is not a funny thing at all."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.