City comes to life, beats Calvert Hall, 26-0

November 01, 1992|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Calvert Hall made City mad in the first half. In the second half, the Cardinals paid for it.

Quarterback Terrence Suber sparked top-ranked City as it scored four second-half touchdowns for its third consecutive shutout, a 26-0 victory over host Calvert Hall in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference game yesterday.

The halftime score -- or lack thereof -- upset City (7-0, 6-0). Calvert Hall (2-6, 2-4) ran the ball effectively in the first two quarters, gaining 141 yards. Kevin Tyler gained 92 of his 128 yards (1,003 for the season) to help the Cardinals control the clock.

"Our game plan was to keep their offense off the field," said Calvert Hall coach Bill Mackley.

That plan worked in the first half. City rushed for 92 yards and lost a touchdown because of a penalty. Both teams wasted scoring chances, however, and the game was scoreless at halftime.

"We were upset," said City coach George Petrides. "It's good for us to be tested. Sometimes they need to be discouraged a bit. I was extremely happy with how they reacted."

How they reacted was to take control of the game. City, which scored 20 points in the fourth quarter, gained 209 of its 301 rushing yards in the second half, as every play was on the ground. The defense limited Calvert Hall to only 43 yards and three first downs.

The first play set the tone for the half. Trent Green of City returned the kickoff 33 yards to the City 47. Suber keyed the drive with runs of 12 and 15 yards. He later closed out the six-play, 53-yard drive with a 4-yard touchdown run with 9:34 left in the quarter.

Suber (68 yards on 12 carries) later sparked the Knights' second touchdown drive with a 29-yard run. Rickey Dangerfield (68 yards on 19 carries) capped the drive with a 7-yard touchdown run on the third play of the fourth quarter for a 12-0 lead.

Suber said finally getting on the scoreboard relaxed City.

"We settled down after that first touchdown," said Suber. "Everything fell into place after that."

Antonio Travers (104 yards on nine carries) scored on a 40-yard run with 7:31 left, and Dangerfield added his second touchdown on a 1-yard run with 4:41 remaining. Suber set up that score with a 34-yard interception return that gave City the ball at the Calvert Hall 3-yard line.

Calvert Hall coach Bill Mackley liked how his team ran the ball, especially in the first half, but said the Cardinals didn't play well for the whole game.

"They learned a lesson today," said Mackley. "It takes two halves to win."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.