Westminster clinches county title, 2-1

October 28, 1992|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

Tinah Houck scored her second goal of the game with 1 minute, 6 seconds left to give No. 2 Westminster a come-from-behind, 2-1 victory over host Liberty last night.

The victory clinched the county title for Westminster and gave the Owls a share of the Central Maryland Conference title with North Carroll. Westminster, which starts Class 4A playoff competition Monday against Gaithersburg or Quince Orchard, finished the regular season 10-2 overall, 4-1 in the county and 5-1 in the CMC.

Liberty plays at North Carroll Monday in Class 2A. The Lions finished 6-3-3 overall, 2-2-2 in county and 3-3-2 in the CMC.

Houck scored both second-half goals for Westminster. The game-winner came on a corner when Aurora Brown passed to Houck, who drilled the shot past Liberty goalie Holly Bilenki from just inside the circle.

"It was a nice hit out from Aurora," said Houck, the county's leading scorer with 14 goals. "When I get a nice hit, I can stop it and nail it. That was a hard shot."

Brown said she had a feeling that Houck might score on the play.

"She always come through for us," Brown said. "I really thought she'd hit it in."

The Owls, who won the Class 4A state title last year, were left shaking their heads at the force of Houck's shot. The ball just made it inside the right side of the cage.

"It was a beautiful hit," said Westminster co-coach Sue Hooper.

Houck sparked the Westminster rally and tied the game when she scored with 17:34 left. The ball bounced off a defender's stick, and she got a reverse stick on it and rolled the ball in.

The Owls controlled play in the second half after struggling early. Westminster out-shot Liberty 12-0 in the second half, and Houck's first goal seemed to inspire the Owls.

"I think we came out flat," said Westminster co-coach Brenda Baker. "I think when we scored . . . then we seemed to dominate."

Liberty came out strong at the start. The Lions had a few chances early in the first half and kept the pressure on Westminster.

That paid off when Debbi Bourke scored with 17:33 left in the half to give the Lions a 1-0 lead.

The Owls slowly began to take over after that. Liberty never came up with any good chances and rarely mounted any offense in the second half.

"We don't have the heart," Liberty coach Courtney Vaughn said. "We were playing defense the whole time. We just got flatter and flatter."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.