1 dead, 3 wounded in series of shootingsOne man was...


October 26, 1992|By From Staff Reports

BALTIMORE CITY — 1 dead, 3 wounded in series of shootings

One man was fatally shot, two others were critically wounded and a fourth was in stable condition following a series of shootings yesterday, police said.

In the fatal shooting, Charles Smith, 25, of the 100 block of Aisquith St., and Reginald McKeever, 25, of the 1300 block of E. Fayette St., were shot about 2:35 p.m. by one of two men they were talking to in the 200 block of N. Spring Court in the Douglass Homes housing project.

Mr. Smith died at 3:14 p.m. at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Mr. McKeever, who was shot in the right side, was in critical condition last night at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

A quantity of suspected cocaine was found near the scene, leading police to believe the shootings were drug-related, said Homicide Detective Donald Steinhice.

Around 2 p.m., Wendell McCoy, 19, of the 1400 block of N. Milton Ave., was shot in the right eye while a teen-age friend with whom he lives was playing with a .38 caliber revolver. Mr. McCoy was in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Police charged Rickey Jones, 16, with reckless endangerment.

Northwestern District police said that about 7:25 p.m., Timothy Nelson, 23, was walking in the 3200

block of Woodland Ave. when he was shot in the upper right side by an unknown assailant.

Mr. Nelson, of the 4700 block of Delaware Ave., was in satisfactory condition at Sinai Hospital.

Lane closures on Light, Lombard due to leak

If your downtown Baltimore commute takes you by Light and Lombard streets, consider today and tomorrow an opportunity to explore a new route.

Either that, or risk encountering daylong gridlock caused by a water main leak at one of the city's busiest intersections.

Several lanes will be closed to traffic on Lombard and Light until at least Wednesday morning because of a leak in a 40-inch water main. All but the two southernmost lanes on Lombard and the two westernmost lanes on Light will be blocked.

Crews from the Department of Public Works are digging 8 feet below street level to repair the leak, which began Friday night and kept crews busy through the weekend.

If all goes according to plan, water supplies will be unaffected. Workers are expected to be able to repair the 90-year-old water main, which carries drinking water, without interrupting service.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.