North Carroll gets revenge vs. Liberty 2-0 win clinches tie for CMC crown Field hockey

October 23, 1992|By John Harris III | John Harris III,Contributing Writer

Both Liberty and host North Carroll knew the importance of last night's Carroll County field hockey matchup.

Visiting Liberty came into the contest ranked first in the Class 2A Region I standings and undefeated in County League and Central Maryland Conference play.

North Carroll began the night ranked third in the region, and wanted to avenge an early-season loss to the Lions.

The revenge factor seemed to work for the Panthers, as they blanked their county rivals, 2-0.

With the win, North Carroll (7-3-2 overall, 4-1 CMC, 3-2-2 county) clinched a tie for the CMC title, and just about clinched a spot in the upcoming playoffs. If Westminster defeats Liberty (6-2-3 overall, 2-1-2 CMC, 2-1-2 county) on Tuesday, the Owls and Panthers will share first place. A Liberty win gives the crown to North Carroll outright.

"We have a lot at stake in this game, the county, the CMC, and the region," said Liberty coach Courtney Vaughn before last night's game.

"We beat them earlier in the season, but I know they'll be ready this time. Last year, we beat them early at home, and turned

around and lost 2-0 here, I hope the same thing doesn't happen this time," added Vaughn.

After sparring with each other for the first 15 minutes, North Carroll began to put constant pressure on the Liberty defensive unit.

Following four shots on goal and four point-blank saves from Lions goalkeeper Holly Bilenki, the Panthers' Laurie Kreseski found herself at the right place at the right time, tucking in a rebound shot from teammate Jill Ballard 22 minutes and 50 seconds into the first half.

Early in the second half, Liberty mounted a quick attack, as Shelly Reichl fired a crisp centering pass to Carly Carter. Carter failed to convert, as North Carroll goalie Holly Saravalle alertly broke up the play.

With senior defender Emily Fair patrolling both ends of the field, the Panthers controlled the ball for the balance of the second half, enabling midfielder Tristam Corbin to score from a difficult angle through a crowd of defender with eight minutes remaining.

"All of the kids played hard tonight, everyone earned it," said first-year North Carroll head coach Denean Powleson. "I told them we had to keep putting the pressure on them [during halftime]."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.