Amerks hand Skipjacks first lose of season, 7-5

October 17, 1992|By Larry Bump | Larry Bump,Contributing Writer

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- The 5-4 lead the Skipjacks took into the locker room after two periods Friday night looked good -- for about a minute.

They knew they would be two men down when they returned for the third period. As the first of those two offenders left the penalty box, the Rochester Americans' Peter Ciavaglia scored to start the home team on the way to a 7-5 victory.

"I thought we did a good job stopping Rochester on that five-on-three scoring opportunity," said Baltimore coach Barry Trotz. "Then just as he [Ken Klee] stepped out of the box, they tied it up."

That was just 1:13 into the final period. The game remained tied for another 13 minutes as the Skipjacks' power play, which had been clicking this season, let down.

"We made long passes instead of safe, short passes," Trotz said. "It wasn't that it had seemed too easy before, we lost some momentum."

That momentum had included 19 shots and three goals in a wild second period. The Baltimore goals -- by Martin Jiranek, Keith Jones and John Byce (his second of the game) -- helped the Skipjacks come back from two Rochester leads and break a 4-4 tie.

The second goal of the game by Ciavaglia, though it only re-tied the game, clearly took that momentum away.

When well-traveled 27-year-old defenseman Bruce Shoebottom scored his second goal of the night (and of the season) with 5:06 to play, it might have been over.

But Shoebottom was called for slashing, giving the Skipjacks another chance with 3:06 left.

"We panicked a little bit," Trotz said. "With a young club, that happens. We were trying to force things, instead of knowing we had two minutes to do them."

Even so, they had an excellent opportunity on that last power play, but Rochester goalie Olaf Kolzig turned away a Jones shot from point-blank range.

"Kolzig had a really strong period. He turned away three sure goals," said Trotz.

Kolzig was gone for a sixth attacker when Rochester's Scott Thomas put in his second goal of the night with seven seconds to play. Then, it truly was over.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.