Wilde Lake ties Oakland Mills, 3-3

October 15, 1992|By Michael Richman | Michael Richman,Contributing Writer

The fierce soccer rivalry between Oakland Mills and Wilde Lake again lived up to its billing.

Girls squads from each school met yesterday at Oakland Mills, with two exciting 10-minute overtime periods going scoreless, leaving a 3-3 tie intact in a grueling Howard County game.

Wilde Lake (4-2-1, 1-0-1) controlled the first overtime against the Scorpions, who are tied with St. Mary's as the area's No. 7 team. However, midfielder Nat Froman and striker Lindsay Waxler couldn't connect on shots.

Oakland Mills (6-0-1, 1-0-1) copied the Wilde Cats in the second period with constant threats. But halfback Tyann Blissett's indirect penalty kick sailed wide right and striker Tricia Witte's goal was nullified because she was offside.

Overtime was played under sudden-death rules, meaning the first goal would have ended play.

"Even though it's a tie and we didn't win, I'm not disappointed," said Wilde Lake coach Rick Wilson. "I was just as intense on the sidelines as in last year's state semifinals."

Said Oakland Mills coach Nancy Shea: "I'm not disappointed. It was our toughest game this year and we did a good job."

Each team enjoyed quality scoring opportunities with breakaways and indirect free kicks. In regulation, the Wilde Cats held a 24-18 edge in shots, keeping Oakland Mills goalie Lauren McHargue extremely busy. Sixteen of their attempts went directly on goal, compared with the eight saves by Wilde Lake goalies Leah Angle and Rachel Gray.

Still, with Oakland Mills leading, 3-2, and one minute remaining,Wilde Lake midfielder Renny Trellis created overtime with her second goal. Given a free kick, she curved a shot into the net's right side.

"Somebody on my team said, 'This is the last shot of the game, you'd better put it in,' " Trellis said. "They had a wall set up and I tried to shoot it over the top of the wall."

Trellis' goal marked the third time Wilde Lake rebounded from a one-goal deficit. Blissett's goal off an indirect penalty kick midway through the first half gave the Scorpions their first edge. Just three minutes later, though, Waxler swiped the ball in scoring range and found the net's right corner, accounting for a 1-1 halftime tie.

At 3:54 of the second half, Oakland Mills led again on Witte's uncontested goal. Trellis answered with 25 minutes left, and Scorpions midfielder Mandi Kolste eluded three defenders and lofted a perfect shot over Gray's outstretched arms for a 3-2 edge with 10 minutes left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.