UMBC tops Towson in last minute Goal by Wagner beats Tigers, 1-0

October 15, 1992|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,Staff Writer

PRINCESS ANNE — UMBC had just one goal to show for its three previous games, and it took until the 120th and final minute of the Retrievers' Big South Conference match at Towson State yesterday to get another one. But it was enough to beat the Tigers, 1-0.

The Retrievers had been outshot, 5-0, in two 15-minute overtime periods before they jumped on a Towson State defensive lapse. Bobby Wagner's header with 39 seconds left ended a three-game UMBC (7-7) losing streak and improved the Retrievers to 4-2 in the Big South. The defeat dropped Towson State (6-6) to 3-3 in the conference.

"This is a big, big win for us," UMBC coach Pete Caringi said. "We've been running into tough luck lately, but today we got the break."

The Tigers had a 16-6 lead in shots before the Retrievers made the decisive attack.

UMBC sent the ball into the Tigers' penalty area, and Towson State goalie Rich Pellegrini, coming well out of the box, deflected it into the right corner. Jay Pierorazio beat Pellegrini to the loose ball and chipped a cross over Tigers sweeper Lance Johnson to the unmarked Wagner.

The goal was the fifth of the season for Wagner, a 6-foot-4 junior back from Bethesda, but his first in 10 games. The assist was the first point of the season for Pierorazio.

"I could have walked it in if I wanted to," Wagner said.

UMBC's senior goalie Bob Mamula had five saves, the toughest coming in the first overtime, when Ricky Bush, Todd Hicks and Frank Zampardi all had solid chances for the Tigers. Zampardi swooped in to steal a Retrievers pass back to Mamula, who stopped his one-on-one attempt with 10:15 gone in overtime.

The Retrievers, who play Sunday at Maryland, have the inside track on a home-field berth for the Big South tournament quarterfinals. Both UMBC and Towson State have earlier Big South losses to Coastal Carolina that could be reversed by the NCAA because Coastal was using four professionals who have since been ruled ineligible.

It was Towson State's first home game since Sept. 30, when it lost 1-0 to nationally ranked James Madison with 36 seconds left in regulation. The Tigers finish the regular season with five home games, the next Saturday against Campbell. Loyola recorded its fourth consecutive shutout and extended its unbeaten streak to six games in its victory over visiting Howard (3-5-2). Marc Harrison, Brian Geraghty and Bill Wnek each scored for the Greyhounds (10-2-1). Goalie Shawn Boehmeke stopped six shots in recording his eighth shutout of the season and the 37th of his career.

W. Maryland 1, Hopkins 0

Ron Chesney (South Carroll) scored off an assist from Matt St. Jean as the Green Terrors (6-6) beat the visiting Blue Jays (3-8).

Salisbury State 4, UMES 2

PRINCESS ANNE -- Mike Connors scored two goals and had an assist as Salisbury State (9-2) defeated UMES (0-6-1) in a non-conference game. Chris Hayes and Jason Fearn also scored goals for Salisbury State. Kebba Wabba and B.J. Strain scored for UMES.

Frostburg 1, St. Vincent 0


FROSTBURG -- Jason Sherry's goal 3:42 into the game was the winning score as Frostburg State (8-5) defeated St. Vincent (4-5-3).

Monmouth 2, Mt. St. Mary's 1


WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. -- Freshman Mike Faubert picked up the only goal as he headed in a corner kick by Greg Goles as Mount St. Mary's (4-7-2, 1-4) lost to Monmouth in a Northeast Conference game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.