Williams 'exhausted' Pollin's patience

October 15, 1992|By Alan Goldstein | Alan Goldstein,Staff Writer

SHEPHERDSTOWN, W. Va. -- This time last year, Washington Bullets owner Abe Pollin vowed, as a matter of principle, he would never trade John Williams, whose lingering weight problems limited him to 33 games over the past two seasons. The veteran forward was under medical suspension all of last year.

But last week Pollin gave his full endorsement to the trade that sent all 318 pounds of Williams to the Los Angeles Clippers for rookie forward Don MacLean and reserve center William Bedford, who has since been released by the Bullets.

"John just exhausted my patience," Pollin said yesterday afterhis annual visit to training camp.

"Last week, several people and also John's mother called me in his behalf. I thought he might still have a future with us, but he never called me and he again failed to show up for his pre-camp physical.

"There were a lot of things I did for John and his family the last few years that aren't public knowledge, but he just wasn't appreciative and never indicated he wanted to turn his life around. I still like him personally, and just hope he can get his life straightened out in Los Angeles."

Pollin said that he was relieved to find none of the current Bullets is experiencing the conditioning problems that haunted both Williams and guard/forward Ledell Eackles, who was not re-signed this season.

"It looks like we've [the Bullets] got a bunch of good, young shooters this year in Rex Chapman, Brent Price and MacLean," he said. "Wes [coach Unseld] just needs time to put all these new guys together."

NOTES: GM John Nash said if there was room in the salary cap he might be interested in signing free-agent power forward Rick Mahorn, who played in Philadelphia when Nash was the 76ers' front-office boss. "But the money we have [Eackles' $780,000 slot] we're saving for [No. 1 draft pick] Tom Gugliotta." Mahorn was cut last week by Il Messaggero of the Italian League after a locker-room tantrum. . . . MacLean's agent, Arn Tellum, told USA Today that the Clippers reneged on a contract agreement last week, leading to his trade to the Bullets. The six-year, $4.86 million deal only needed some fine-tuning after Nash took over.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.