14-year-old re-arrested, charged as an adult Review of assault case prompts change

October 13, 1992|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

A 14-year-old Westminster youth, previously charged as a juvenile after a knife fray Aug. 24, was re-arrested Saturday and charged as an adult.

Nathaniel M. Costley of Sullivan Avenue was placed on $100,000 unsecured bond and released into the custody of relatives, Westminster city police said.

In reviewing the case, prosecutors decided to change the youth's status, charging him with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of assault, two counts of reckless endangerment, battery, attempted murder and assault with intent to commit murder.

According to police, young Costley objected to the relationship between his mother and 20-year-old Bryan Bowen of Baltimore when he found them together in his house.

Police said young Costley threatened to kill Mr. Bowen, ran to the home of a relative and grabbed several large kitchen knives.

Investigators said Darrin Johnson, 28, a friend of Mr. Bowen's, followed Nathaniel Costley into the relative's house, showed a handgun and assaulted an occupant.

According to the police report, the 14-year-old returned to his own apartment with a knife in each hand, pushed his mother and threw a knife at Mr. Bowen.

It missed.

family members tried in vain to control the youth as he tried to stab Mr. Bowen, police said.

Mr. Bowen ran from the building, pulled a handgun and pointed it at the boy, according to police.

The youth's father came to the scene and was able to take two knives from his son while Mr. Bowen and Mr. Johnson fled, police say.

Police located both men a short time later and charged them with handgun violations.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.