Dundalk rolls over Franklin, 28-6 Gains 1st place with 3rd win in row

October 11, 1992|By Kevin Eck | Kevin Eck,Contributing Writer

The results of Dundalk's football games are becoming predictable. But Coach Dave Dixon isn't complaining.

Another 100-yard rushing game from Dundalk running back John Satterfield. Another strong effort by the Owls defense.

And another 22-point victory.

Led by Satterfield, who rushed for 123 yards and three touchdowns on 13 carries, Dundalk (5-1, 4-0) rolled to a 28-6 win over visiting Franklin (2-4, 1-3) and gained sole possession of first place in the Baltimore County 4A-3A League.

It was the Owls' third straight 22-point win, following 22-0 victories over Lansdowne and Dulaney.

That's the good news for Dundalk, which breezed through its first four league games by outscoring its opponents, 94-14. Now the Owls move into the toughest part of their schedule: Parkville, Perry Hall, Randallstown and third-ranked Woodlawn looming.

"We'll do all right," Dixon said. "I've scouted the other teams. We're not really worried."

He certainly didn't have much to worry about yesterday.

Dundalk gained 287 of its 293 yards total offense on the ground, while the defense limited the Indians to just 1 yard in the second half and 88 yards overall. The Owls had 17 first downs to Franklin's six, three of which were the result of Dundalk penalties.

The Owls also grounded the Indians' passing attack. Franklin quarterback Mark Weldon -- starting in place of William Collins, who left the team for disciplinary reasons -- completed just three of 14 passes for 56 yards and an interception.

Dundalk set the tone on its first possession. Satterfield's 4-yard touchdown run and two-point conversion capped a seven-play, 58-yard drive that gave the Owls an 8-0 lead.

It appeared to be three plays and out for Franklin on its first series, but Dundalk had too many men on the field for the punt and the Indians retained possession.

Weldon then connected with Daryl Chambers for receptions of 28 and 18 yards, the latter of which set up a first-and-goal at the 7. Two plays later, Chambers scored from 3 yards out to pull Franklin within 8-6, but his attempt for the two-point conversion failed.

Dundalk responded with a 10-play, 63-yard drive, which culminated in Eric Dilutis' 3-yard touchdown run to take a 16-6 lead with 10:45 remaining in the first half.

Franklin 6 0 0 0 -- 6

Dundalk 8 14 6 0 -- 28

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.