Westminster stops North Carroll, 2-0 Field hockey

October 08, 1992|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Staff Writer

Westminster High ended North Carroll's magical field hockey ride last night in Hampstead, as Tinah Houck scored two goals in the final eight minutes to give the Owls a 2-0 victory.

North Carroll, a 2A school, entered the game off back-to-back victories over defending state 4A champion Westminster and defending state 3A champion South Carroll in the past six days.

But the Panthers (3-3-2) couldn't turn back the Owls for a second time, although North Carroll dominated the first 52 minutes.

The Panthers wound up outshooting Westminster, 6-3, and came close to taking a 1-0 lead in the first half on a Laurie Kreseski shot that was saved by Owls sweeper Erin McKinney.

Westminster (7-1) finally got the break it needed with 7:16 remaining, when North Carroll goalie Holly Saravelle was called for a penalty while trying to make a save amid a pack of Owls in front of the net.

Saravelle was called for sitting on the ball, setting up a penalty shot by Houck from 21 feet. Houck responded by sending a hard shot into the net for a 1-0 lead.

North Carroll coach Denean Powelson said the call against her goalie "was the right call as far as I could see."

Houck came back a little more than four minutes later with a booming shot into the goal from 16 yards out, making it 2-0. Aurora Brown was credited with an assist on the play.

"We needed the penalty stroke to get us going," said Westminster coach Sue Hooper. "North Carroll beat us to the ball most of the night. They played even better tonight than they did in the game they won."

Hooper said the Panthers controlled the ball in the middle of the field most of the night.

"That little No. 11 [Tristam Corbin] had the ball most of the night," said Hooper. "But Tinah had a strong shot on the penalty stroke and another great shot for the second goal. Also, we got a lot of aggressive play inside from Nicole Batten and Mellisa Sell, and our links, Denise Bollinger and Jill Sisson, were strong tonight."

Powelson said the difference between the victory over Westminster and the loss last night was "pretty simple. We just didn't put the ball in the cage in this game.

"But our girls didn't quit until the final whistle. We did everything we wanted to do but put the ball in the cage."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.