Top driver Filion barred from Yonkers

October 06, 1992|By Newsday

NEW YORK -- Herve Filion, the winningest driver in harnes racing history, yesterday was barred from competing at Yonkers Raceway through Friday. His ban, as well as those of previously barred drivers Jimmy Marohn and Ray Fisher Jr. and trainer George Anthony, will be reviewed that day.

General manager Robert Galterio said in a prepared statement that the action was part of the track's normal review process for driving and training privileges for the fall meet. In keeping with track policy, he would not comment further on Filion's ban.

Filion, who has won 13,671 races in a career that began in 1961, could not be reached for comment.

Sources close to the situation said they believe the bans against the drivers are related to a New York Racing and Wagering Board investigation into possible inconsistencies in trifecta races. Anthony said his ban was the result of a personality conflict with management.

Filion today was serving the final day of a five-day suspension for interference and is scheduled to return to action tomorrow at Freehold Raceway. Fisher also is racing at the central New Jersey track.

"We are aware of the action Yonkers management has taken against the horsemen, but we understand no suspensions have been issued by regulatory agencies," Freehold general manager Ryan said. "We have seen nothing in Filion's or Fisher's conduct to cause us to bar them from competition at Freehold."

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.