Leonard C. Crewe Jr., civic leaderLeonard C. Crewe Jr...

OBITUARIES

September 30, 1992

Leonard C. Crewe Jr., civic leader

Leonard C. Crewe Jr., founder of a Cockeysville-based wire mill and a longtime leader in civic and charitable organizations, died Monday at Union Memorial Hospital after a heart attack. He was 84.

Services for Mr. Crewe will be held at noon tomorrow at his Cockeysville home at 716 Western Run Road -- an historic, Colonial-era structure which he moved in pieces from Bladensburg and lovingly restored.

Born in Dayton, Tenn., Mr. Crewe received his degree in metallurgical engineering from Lehigh University in Pennsylvania in 1929.

He began his metallurgical career the next year at Bethlehem Steel's Sparrows Point mill. He was assistant superintendent of its wire and rod mill when he left in 1943 to become works manager for the Johnson Steel wire company in Worcester, Mass.

Mr. Crewe returned to the Baltimore area in 1947 to found the Maryland Fine and Specialty Wire Co., a business that he expanded through the acquisition of several other companies in the United States and England. His business was acquired, in turn, by Handy and Harman in 1967, with Mr. Crewe becoming a director and vice president. He retired in 1973.

Mr. Crewe also was a former director of the Baltimore branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, serving from 1965 to 1967 as its chairman.

His civic contributions included leadership roles in fund raising for the old Community Chest-Red Cross United Appeal -- a forerunner to the United Way -- and as a chairman and benefactor of the Baltimore Regional Red Cross chapter, donating the Charles Street building that was formerly used as the blood bank headquarters. The Red Cross boardroom at the new headquarters in the Seton Industrial Park is named for Mr. Crewe.

He also organized the Baltimore chapter of CARE and served as president of the Baltimore Council for International Visitors.

Mr. Crewe was a former president of the Maryland Historical Society and helped start its antiques show. He also was a founder of Friends of Government House, which refurbished the governor's mansion in the Hughes administration.

He also raised money to refurbish Kiplin Hall in North Yorkshire, England, a Calvert family home, and set up a program for University of Maryland architectural students to work on the continuing project.

His fascination with antiques was focused in the 1960s on his restoration of his own historic home, known as the "Dr. Ross House." Built in Bladensburg in 1749, used as a hospital in the War of 1812, and virtually demolished in 1957, the house was moved in pieces -- including some 22,000 bricks -- to his property for an amazing reconstruction project.

Mr. Crewe is survived by his wife, the former Betty Meredith; three sons, L. Carter Crewe III of Walnut Creek, Calif., F. Coates Crewe of Columbia, S.C., and J. Clarke Crewe of Charlotte, N.C.; a stepson, Bruce Robertson of Columbia, S.C.; two stepdaughters, Elizabeth Simmons of Darlington, S.C., and Margot Healey of Washington; a grandchild; and three step-grandchildren.

The family suggested donations to the Leonard and Betty Crewe Endowment for Historic Preservation of the University of Maryland Foundation. Warner G. Williamson, a retired machinist, died of cancer Sept. 26 at his home.

Services for Mr. Williamson, 63, were scheduled for 11 a.m today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W. in Glen Burnie.

Born in War, W.Va., Mr. Williamson lived in Severn for the past 28 years and previously lived in Brooklyn Park. He was a member of the American Legion Post 40 and enjoyed working in his yard.

He is survived by his wife of 42 years, the former Hazel L. Atwell of Severn; one son, Jerry D. Williamson of Severn; one daughter, Elizabeth E. Roberts of Newport News, Va.; and a sister, Helen Patterson of Daytona Beach, Fla.

Wardell Gilyard

Truck driver

Wardell Gilyard, a truck driver, died Friday of cancer at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Services for the 58-year-old Tivoli Avenue resident were scheduled for 7 p.m. today at the Huber Memorial United Church of Christ, 29th Street and The Alameda.

Mr. Gilyard drove for about two years -- before illness forced his retirement -- for Berman's Trucking Co. and for many years before that for the Seaboard Steel and Iron Co.

Born in Winnsboro, S.C., he was reared in Baltimore and attended Douglass High School.

He is survived by his wife, the former Wanda Dorsey; nine daughters, Brenda Scofield, Yvonne and Vernette Slight, Towanda Ward, Tareco Cooper and Deborah, Audrey, Shirley and Angel Gilyard; three sons, Eric and Wardell Gilyard Jr. and William Hargrove; and three sisters, Nadell B. Gilyard, Willie Mae Johnson and Ida Mae Hines. All are of Baltimore.

Cheryl A. Hunter

Volunteer school aide

Cheryl Annette Hunter, 35, a volunteer school aide, died of pneumonia Friday at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.

Services for Mrs. Hunter were scheduled for 7:30 p.m. today at the Spirit of Liberty Christian Fellowship Church, 9 W. 25th St., Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.