Museum releases book on its history

September 25, 1992

"Captain Salem Avery House, Its History 1860-1990," by Virginia White Fitz, is the history of the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society Museum and the former inhabitants of the house.

The book will be released at the museum's grand opening, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sept. 26,. and noon to 5 p.m., Sept. 27.

Its publication was made possible in part by a grant from the Annapolis Federal Savings and Loan Association.

Publication was also helped by a gift from F. Ethel Andrews, in recognition of the Society's contribution to the publication of her book, "Miss Ethel Remembers," which was released last year on her 100th birthday.

Mrs. Fitz also wrote "The Spirit of Shady Side," which led to the formation of the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society, Inc.

Her latest book describes Capt. Avery's move from Long Island, N.Y., to Shady Side to pursue his livelihood as a waterman.

He encouraged Joshua Hallock, a young family friend from Long Island, to join him.

Both married and prospered, and some of their descendants remain in Shady Side.

In 1923, Capt. Avery's property was purchased by the National Masonic Fishing and Country Club.

The first two presidents of the group were Samuel and Henry Gompers, the sons of labor leader Samuel Gompers.

In the book, Mrs. Fitz describes the pleasure the families experienced during their tenure as owners of the building they named "Our Place."

It was from this group that the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society bought the property in April of 1989.

The book may be purchased from the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society Inc., P.O. Box 89, Shady Side, 20764. The cost is $9.50 plus tax, for a total of $9.98 and mailing costs of $1.50.

The book will be available at the museum gift store.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.