City policeman Weiner dies 28-year-old officer shot Saturday answering complaint at city home

September 21, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer

Ira Weiner, a Baltimore police officer, died early today minutes after a life-support system that had kept him alive since he was shot Saturday afternoon was disconnected.

Officer Weiner was pronounced dead at 12:17 a.m. from massive brain damage. The 28-year-old Western District officer was shot with his own 9mm Glock handgun while answering a call complaining of a disorderly, armed man inside a Mulberry Street rowhouse.

The man investigators said shot the officer was shot to death by backup police officers responding to a report that a policeman had been shot.

The message of Officer Weiner's death went out with the usual efficiency of any police department, and, like thousands of other broadcasts, it went out loud and clear.

Preceded by an attention signal, the message went out: "I regret to inform you that Officer Ira Weiner passed away at 0017 hours [12:17 a.m.]. Our prayers are with our fellow officer."

Officers beginning the midnight-to-8 a.m. shift and those whose 8-hour shift just ended took out their elastic black mourning bands and placed them around their badges.

Sgt. Edward Feeney, a Western District shift commander, call the downed officer "a dedicated officer and well-liked."

Officer Weiner was taken by ambulance to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after the shooting, where he was placed on life-support systems until taken off at 12:01 a.m. today at the request of his father.

Police are still investigating how the officer's gun was taken.

Lewis Thomas, 29, of the 500 block of N. Calhoun St., was accused of shooting the officer. He was shot and killed. His aunt told reporters and investigators later that he had been high on cocaine.

It was the second shooting of a city police officer in two days.

Shortly before noon Friday, Officer James E. Young Jr., 26, of the Southeastern District, was shot in the head, also with his own gun, while struggling with a drug suspect at the Flag House Courts housing project on S. Exeter St.

Officer Young, who is at Shock Trauma, is in critical but stable condition and is expected to survive.

Physicians attending Officer Weiner said that a bullet pierced his skull and that bone and bullet fragments damaged his brain so extensively that surgery was considered too risky.

Officer Weiner joined the force on Aug. 22, 1988. He was an only child. An officer who knew him well said Officer Weiner "always was eager to learn and he volunteered for everything and anything." He had done an internship with Maryland State Police while attending Northwestern High School.

Funeral services were scheduled for 9:30 a.m. tomorrow at Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.