Savage firefighters continue to serveFrom: Alan...

READERS WRITE

September 20, 1992

Savage firefighters continue to serve

From: Alan Grimes

Savage

To our neighbors and friends:

Since 1937, professionally trained volunteers from our Fire Department have responded around the clock, seven days a week, whenever you needed us.

Your support has enabled the department to grow from one used pumper 55 years ago to two engines, an enhanced pumper and aerial unit, an ambulance, brush truck and nearly 100 men and women.

As you may know, the Savage Fire Department has been the focus of some negative publicity in recent days.

We offer our prayers and sympathy to the alleged victims and their families.

The charges are especially shocking considering Scott Botschen's record with the Fire Department.

For 10 years, he served as an exemplary member -- attaining some of the highest training levels, consistently ranking in the top 10 responders, and winning recognition from the Howard County government for saving a life.

We want you to know that we will not permit this to interfere with our service to the community. We will be happy to respond to any questions you might have.

Thank you for your continued support.

Set an example for road safety

From: Alicia Ann Knothe

Columbia

Staggering statistics from the Howard County police about traffic fatalities in our county so far this year should be raising questions about what we all can do to make our roads safer.

Eleven people have died. What's even more staggering is 20 percent were alcohol-related, so that leaves 80 percent from other causes.

Since 90 percent of traffic accidents are driver error, these statistics certainly prove that a great number of people are being killed because of avoidable mistakes other than alcohol and drugs.

MADD and programs like them have made great inroads into the tangible cause of a great many crashes and fatalities.

However, we can no longer ignore the not-so-tangible causes of more than half of the fatalities in our country so far this year.

Carelessness, inexperience, negligence, and poor driving habits and skills have led to too many lost lives, many of them teens.

Unfortunately, for too many drivers this year, it wasn't one too many drinks that killed them or someone else.

It was one too many times not buckling their seat belts.

One too many times running the yellow light so not to have to wait that extra few minutes.

One too many times speeding and believing control of the car is just as safe at high speeds as it is at low speeds.

One too many times thinking it won't happen to me, that I am immortal.

One too many drinks is no longer the only cause of traffic fatalities, yet one too many families think when their teen stays free of those elements, they are suddenly safe and experienced enough to continue to drive without obeying the laws and respecting the reasons they exist.

These statistics and the recent tragic loss of yet another teen life in our county due to a traffic fatality should scream off the page that we can't turn our heads and assume drivers of any age, in any family, of any social or scholastic status are immune to poor judgment and fatal error.

We, as parents, are the first examples our children see for driving skills.

Don't make that legacy result in death.

Take the keys from your teen if they demonstrate poor driving habits.

Teens, tell your parents when their driving breaks the law.

No one is safe unless we all become involved through awareness, education, communication, and obeying the laws.

It shouldn't be a crime to care about each other on the roads for any reason that can kill us or someone we love.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.