City loses control, but wins, 15-14

September 19, 1992|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

For slightly more than three quarters, top-ranked City bullied Mount St. Joseph all around its home field in yesterday's Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference football game.

Offensively, the Knights built a 15-0 lead and gained 231 total yards in the first half. Their defense stuffed the Gaels for just 14 first-half yards, holding All-Metro quarterback Buddy Edmond to one completion in six attempts for 1 yard.

However, the fourth quarter belonged to Mount St. Joseph, with the Knights barely hanging on for a 15-14 victory.

That's because the 1-0 Knights -- whose offense was held to just 36 fourth-quarter yards -- went from total domination to near desperation. In the final period, the Gaels (1-2) rallied with two touchdowns and a conversion pass.

"We just started playing like ourselves, the way we should have been the whole time," said Gaels' junior running back Eddie Pailen.

Pailen's 4-yard touchdown scamper capped a five-play, 51-yard drive that cut the Knights' lead to 15-6 with 7:02 left in the game.

The play was set up after teammate Dominic Steward recovered a fumbled pitch to City's Trent Green at the Gaels' 49.

On the ensuing play, Pailen (10 carries, 79 yards) ran 32 yards down the right side. Then Edmond had runs of 5 and 8 yards to set up Pailen.

After holding the Knights on their next possession, Mike Frazier returned the punt 25 yards to the City 44, and Larry Bell capped a five-play drive with a 13-yard touchdown to cut it to 15-12 with 2:49 remaining. Frazier's conversion catch from Edmond made it 15-14.

The Knights ran the option at ease in the first half with Green amassing 112 yards on 26 carries, 230-pound full back Antonio Travers picking up 72 on 13 rushes and quarterback Terrence Suber adding 43 yards on 12 carries.

City's opening drive, capped by a Suber-to-Dwight Banks 40-yard touchdown strike, went 91 yards in 13 plays and consumed 5:08 off the clock. Banks' kick made it 7-0.

Suber returned an Edmond punt 27 yards to the Gaels' 36 and took a keeper 17 yards to the 19. Two plays later, Green --ed 11 yards to give the Knights a 13-0 lead. After a bad snap on the ensuing extra-point kick, Banks hit Akil Trice for a two-point conversion.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.