Shootings kill man, woman, wound 3, including 2 children

September 17, 1992|By Richard Irwin and Michael James | Richard Irwin and Michael James,Staff Writers

A man and a woman were killed and at least three others -- including two children -- were injured by gunfire last night, Baltimore police said.

The first homicide occurred at 5:25 p.m. at the corner of 20th Street and Greenmount Avenue, where Ricky Dexter Washington, 21, of the 2300 block of Barclay St., was shot several times as he stood on the sidewalk, police said.

Mr. Washington, who was struck in the upper body, died at the scene. Police said they have no motive for the slaying and were questioning witnesses last night.

The second homicide occurred at 8:07 p.m. in the 2800 block of W. North Ave.

Police said an unidentified man in his 20s and Vernice McLeod, 31, of the 3800 block of Forest Park Ave., were seated in the man's car when at least three men, possibly five, jumped out from a car that stopped alongside.

The men, police said, began firing handguns into the first car at very close range.

The unidentified victim was shot twice in the shoulder, once in the neck and twice in the chest, police said.

Ms. McLeod, police said, was shot at least once in the upper body.

Following the shooting, the gunmen entered the car and sped off.

Police said the couple was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where Ms. McLeod died a short time later. The unidentified man was listed in critical condition.

Police said they had no arrests and no motive for the double-shooting.

Also in West Baltimore:

* Six-year-old Josh Mitchell of the 1100 block of Riggs Ave. was shot in the left ankle at 8:17 p.m. while playing near the corner of Carrollton and Riggs avenues.

Police said the boy was playing with other children when three men, two armed with large-caliber handguns, began chasing a unidentified man down a nearby alley.

The gunmen fired at least six shots, missing their intended target but striking Josh in the ankle.

Police said all four men fled, while Josh was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was listed in good condition today.

* Shortly after 5:30 p.m., Jeraka Brown, 4, of the 500 block of N. Carey St., was playing on her front steps when she was grazed in the arm by one of several bullets fired by an unidentified man at an unknown person at the intersection of Carey Street and Edmondson Avenue.

The girl was taken by ambulance to University Hospital and was listed in fair condition today.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.