A Court of Honors Ceremony was recently held for the Odenton Boy Scout Troop 721. The following merit badges were presented:
Woodworking: Cullen and Devin Schar. Safety: Eric Smith, Jeffrey and Brian Lynn, John Redmiles and J. B. McConville. Wilderness Survival: Matthew Linderman, Alex Buinickas, Chip Jett, Michael Leon, J. B. McConville, John Redmiles, Scott Rollison and Eric Smith. Photography:Matthew Linderman. Basketry: Alex Buinickas, Billy Collier, Justin Howard, Scott Kendall, Michael Leon, Matthew Linderman, J. B. McConville, Kevin Moulton, John Redmiles, Eric Smith and Eddie Weatherbee. Art: Alex Buinickas, Billy Collier, Justin Howard, Walter Fletcher, Justin Howard, Matthew Linderman, J. B. McConville, John Redmiles and Eric Smith. Leatherwork: Alex Buinickas, Walter Fletcher and John Howard. Metalwork: Alex Buinickas and J. B. McConville. Sailing: Alex Buinickas, Billy Collier, Chris Cox, Matthew Linderman and Scott Rollison. Mammal Study: Billy Collier, Chris Cox, Scott Kendall, Matthew Linderman and Justin Howard. Orienteering: Chris Cox, Chip Jett and Eric Smith. Woodcarving:
John Howard. Canoeing: Walter Fletcher. Fishing: Justin Howard, Chip Jett, Kevin Moulton, John Redmiles and Eddie Weatherbee. Environmental Science: Scott Kendall, John Redmiles, Scott Rollison and J. B. McConville. Life Saving: Justin Howard, John Howard, Scott Kendall and J. B. McConville, Cooking: Justin Howard, Kevin Moulton and Eddie Weatherbee.
Pioneering: Chip Jett, John Redmiles and Scott Rollison.
These merit badges were earned Aug. 9-15 during a camping trip to Broadcreek Memorial Scout Reservation Camp Spencer.
Troop 721 also earned "Honor Troop of the Week" Award. Rank Advancements were also announced.
Moving up to Tenderfoot are Juston Howard, Kevin Moulton, Eddie Weatherbee and Matthew Williams.
Advancing to Second Class are John Redmiles and Eric Smith.
Advancing to First Class are Justin Edwards, J. B. McConville and Scott Rollison.
The new slate of troop officers also was announced. Senior Patrol Leader, William Collier; Assistant Senior Patrol Leader, Alex Buinickas; Scribe, Michael Leon; Quartermaster, Devin Schar; Scorpions Patrol Leader, Eddie Weatherbee; Flaming Arrow Patrol Leader, J. B. McConville; and Cobra Patrol Leader, Chris Cox.
* The Gambrills Athletic Club Ladies Auxiliary will hold a craft show from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Oct. 17 at the Gambrills Athletic Club on McKnew Road.
Tables are available for $15. There will be crafts for all seasons.
For more information or to reserve a table call Doris Butler 987-4313 or Janet Fisher 987-4426.
* The next meeting of the Odenton Heritage Society will be at 1 Sept. 24 at the Odenton Library.
* The Retired Fort Meade Officers' Wives' Club monthly luncheon will be held at 11 a.m., Oct. 6 at the Fort Meade Officers' Club. Members will model clothing from Apparel Associates which is noted for a variety of fashions from well known designers and fashion consultants.
Reservations are required for all luncheons and can be made by calling Althea Freeman, 551-8826. The cost is $8. Reservations are required no later than noon on Oct. 1.
A sign language program for children and parents will be held at p.m. Sept. 22 at the Provinces branch library in Severn. The program titled "Rhyme it in Sign" is open to children in grades 1 to 6 and their parents. Participants will learn the finger alphabet and basic signs through favorite rhymes.
Registration is not required. For more information call the Provinces branch library at 222-6280.
* September brings story time for preschoolers. Children ages 2 to are welcome. Parents or care-givers are asked to stay in the story time session with 2- and 3-year-olds and take part in the activities with their children. Parents of older children are welcome as well. Story time will be held at the Odenton branch library at 10 a.m. Wednesdays and 7 p.m. Tuesdays from Sept. 22 to Oct. 27 and at the Provinces branch library at 9:30 a.m., Wednesdays and 7 p.m. Thursdays from Sept. 23 to Oct. 29.
* A one day workshop, titled, "Starting Your Own Business," sponsored by SCORE/ACE Chapter 390 of Southern Maryland and the West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce, will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 1 at Rick's Cafe in the Odenton Shopping Center.
The workshop is intended for people who are interested in a new business, or who have recently started one.
The workshop will feature both active and retired business people, including chamber members Geoff Johnson of Johnson Insurance and Bill Linsao of Maryland National Bank.
Registration fee is $20, payable at the door.
For more information call the chamber office at 672-3422.