2 Hickey School escapees captured one still at large

September 15, 1992|By Sheridan Lyons | Sheridan Lyons,Staff Writer

An Edgewood boarding house operator with a shotgun captured one of 11 escapees from the Charles H. Hickey Jr. School for juvenile offenders yesterday as police in cars, on foot and in a helicopter closed in on the youth after a five-mile chase.

Police arrested another Hickey fugitive in a relative's home in Chase, leaving only one of the escapees from last week's breakout at large.

"I didn't know whether it was a murderer, or what," Dewey Nichols said last night after he had apprehended the exhausted youth in a field behind the boarding house and turned him over to police.

The arrests culminated a chase that involved Baltimore County police, state police and the Harford County sheriff's deputies. It began at noon, when Baltimore County police got a tip that one of the escapees was at a relative's home in the 12500 block of Eastern Ave. in Chase.

Police arrested one youth there, but another who was apparently with him took off and ran across a railroad bridge into Harford County, through the Aberdeen Proving Ground and into Edgewood, according to accounts from various police agencies.

There, a state police helicopter and Harford County sheriff's deputies joined the search.

Mr. Nichols, operator of a small boarding house for the elderly in the 1100 block of Hanson Road in Edgewood, said he heard the helicopter and the police radios, brought his guests indoors and went into the field with his shotgun -- loaded but uncocked and with the safety on.

Although the police broadcast had described a blond youth, Mr. Nichols said he spotted a pale, dark-haired boy, scratched and exhausted, who claimed that he was just cutting through the field to visit a friend in a neighboring development.

Then, Mr. Nichols said, the frightened youth asked, "Are you going to shoot me?" And as police closed in, the youth said, "I'm the one they're looking for."

Both youths were returned to the Hickey School yesterday afternoon, police said.

A 15-year-old who had been confined at the Hickey School for auto theft remains at large, police said. He and 10 other 15- to 18-year-olds escaped last Tuesday morning by overpowering a guard at their minimum security cottage at the facility on Cub Hill Road in Baltimore County.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.