"When a ship was bombarded, they would take down their flag and run up the white flag," DuVall said. "But the British nailed their flag down. The only way they would surrender is if the ship was sunk."
So DuVall's intention was to make his players relate to the British navy, never giving up, right?
Actually, it's more complicated than that.
"We said how appropriate it is to be playing at Dundalk, where the field sits up on a hill and you can actually look down at the harbor where 'The Star-Spangled Banner' was written," he said. "So we turned the story around a little bit. We used the analogy of the British navy bombing Fort McHenry. Dundalk was so big and strong, and we were like the American colonies defending. Our flag had to be waving at the end."
And all along the Dundalk players probably thought they were just playing a football game.
Records, streaks, milestones
* No. 10 C. Milton Wright got its 25th consecutive regular-season victory with its 14-0 win over No. 12 Aberdeen Friday.
* Sparrows Point's 35-13 loss to John Carroll Saturday extended the area's longest losing streak to 24.
C. Milton Wright senior defensive back Steve Sostrin, who suffered a dislocated shoulder against Aberdeen Friday, is doubtful for this weekend's game against North Harford, Mustangs' coach Steve Harward said.
Sostrin, a three-year starter, had his shoulder placed back in the socket after the game, but he also was bothered by muscle spasms.
* Most TDs: Doug Copler, Liberty and Mike Quarles, North County, 3.
* Longest TD rushing: James Kelly, Chesapeake-BC, 82 yards.
* Longest TD passing: Seth Willingham, Wilde Lake, 81 yards, to Craig Butler.
* Longest kickoff return for a TD: Masai Demus, Mount Hebron, 95 yards.
* Longest punt return for a TD: Jarmal Wormble, Mount St. Joseph, 68 yards.
* Longest interception return for a TD: Travis Thornton, Dundalk, yards.
* Longest fumble recovery and return for a TD: Lonnie Bishop, Pikesville, 92 yards.
L * Longest field goal: John Milisitz, Severna Park, 40 yards.
* Tex DeLeon, Towson, 18 carries, 203 yards, 2 TDs.
* Mike Cangemi, Boys' Latin, 21 carries, 188 yards, 1 TD.
* Mike Dodd, South Carroll, 21 carries, 174 yards, 1 TDs.
* Eric Howard, North County, 23-for-38, 341 yards, 5 TDs.
* Bobby Sablehaus, McDonogh, 13-for-20, 208 yards, 2 TDs.
* Dave Ishmael, John Carroll, 8-for-9, 162 yards, 2 TDs.
* Damon Martin, North County, 10 catches, 168 yards, 2 TDs.
* Mike Quarles, North County, 9 catches, 135 yards, 3 TDs.
* Jeff Paxson, Spalding, 4 catches, 128 yards, 1 TD.
Note: Top performances are based on statistics reported to The Sun.