Horn's tough season becomes a strainIt has been a...

Orioles notebook

September 14, 1992|By Peter Schmuck | Peter Schmuck,Staff Writer

Horn's tough season becomes a strain

It has been a difficult season for designated hitter Sam Horn, and things don't figure to get any easier in the near future.

Horn sustained a strained lateral oblique muscle in his right side Friday night against the Milwaukee Brewers. He doesn't figure to pick up a bat for at least the next few days and could be out much longer if the injury doesn't respond to treatment.

"It's getting better," Horn said. "I'm in here four times a day for treatment. That's all I can do. It's an inopportune time to get hurt, but the way I got hurt shows how hard I was trying."

Horn had been waiting for an opportunity to make a contribution. He was kind of lost in the shuffle when an injury left Glenn Davis unable to play first base. Davis moved into the designated hitter role full time and Horn moved to the bench.

"It's just something that happened," Horn said. "Mark McGwire was playing every day and he had the same injury. I was out there doing the best I could and I got hurt. I was just swinging hard at the ball."

Horn says he is hoping to get back in time to make a difference.

"I'm pushing the issue," he said, "but it'll let me know."

Manny's happy return

Minor-league shortstop Manny Alexander joined the major-league team yesterday, but it took some doing to get him here. The Orioles could not find him in New York -- where he was expected to wait out the season -- and they had little luck contacting him through his agent.

When the club tracked him down, he already had touched down in the Dominican Republic. Alexander got right on a plane and came back, not even stopping to see his family.

"All I could do was wave to them," Alexander said. "They were outside the window, and I couldn't go out there. I had to go right to the plane and come back. I only had about 35 minutes between flights. My luggage didn't even make it."

Nevertheless, Alexander was happy to be in the majors, if only to sit on the bench and cheer his teammates. "It's great to be here and watch the big guys play," he said. "This is my first time with the big-league team. I think it will be good for me."

Olson: Tales from the backside

Gregg Olson sustained a bruised right buttock when he was hit by a line drive off the bat of Dante Bichette in the ninth inning, but he picked a good time to take one for the team. The Orioles played the carom and turned a strange double play that got them out of a bases-loaded situation. Here's what happened:

The ball bounced to third baseman Tim Hulett, who threw to the plate for the force out. Catcher Jeff Tackett took the throw and pumped toward first base (where he had no chance to get Bichette), then fired back to Hulett to catch Paul Molitor off base. Molitor was tagged in a rundown for the final out of the inning.

The double play went into the official score book as a baseball palindrome -- 1-5-2-5-1 -- with Olson getting an assist and making the tag to end the inning.

Anderson sagging

Left fielder Brady Anderson continues to struggle at the plate. He went hitless in three at-bats yesterday and is 0-for-14 since missing a game with the stomach flu earlier this week.

"I haven't felt that great since I got sick," said Anderson. He has continued to play solid defense, but didn't put the ball in play against pitcher Cal Eldred yesterday. He struck out three times and walked once.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.